Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changes to adding referral link after point of sale

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just a heads up and YMMV,

I was chatting with my SA today and overheard his manager “coaching” him to follow the “recent memo” that came out regarding SAs no longer adding referral links after an order has been completed.

so if you want to be 100% on getting your referral credit, use the link when you place the order.

I hope they dont go back on what they told me. I had forgotten to use my friends referral link, but I emailed them right after. They responded saying that it's been added, so I hope that's true.

Not that it matters all that much i guess cause both of us have wall chargers, but it's the principle.

I hope they dont go back on what they told me. I had forgotten to use my friends referral link, but I emailed them right after. They responded saying that it's been added, so I hope that's true.

Not that it matters all that much i guess cause both of us have wall chargers, but it's the principle.

This policy from tesla isnt "new", really. They have flipped back and forth over whether someone will add it after the fact or not, even during the same period, with some reps saying "no way" and others saying "I will do it" and even some people who were told "we will do it" finding out after the fact it never got added.

If you search the forums you will find lots of complaints about referral codes being added, etc. I totally get what you are saying, and hope that it actually got added like they told you it did.

The only way for anyone to ever be sure the referral code was added properly was to do it through the link (ie without human intervention in the process).

Truly, this OPs opening statement is super accurate " a heads up and YMMV (your mileage may vary)", cause I am sure there are still reps who my or may not follow teslas "internal guidance" on this, which I doubt has changed at all from "must order through link". What likely happened is turnover at tesla, and reps seeing they have the fields there to add it so doing it, not knowing Tesla has said "must order through link to use code".

Just a heads up and YMMV,

I was chatting with my SA today and overheard his manager “coaching” him to follow the “recent memo” that came out regarding SAs no longer adding referral links after an order has been completed.

so if you want to be 100% on getting your referral credit, use the link when you place the order.
I forgot to use my friends code and I sent a text and they told me that as long is I give them a code before I accept delivery then its no problem

I forgot to use my friends code and I sent a text and they told me that as long is I give them a code before I accept delivery then its no problem

As stated, that may or may not happen. This forum is littered (literally) with people who were told that, and it didnt happen. There are also people who were told that, and it did happen, as well as people who were told "sorry we cant do that".

Its great they told you that, it might even happen like they said, just dont "expect it to be flawless / smooth" and if it doesnt happen, dont be surprised.