Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FUSC 3rd Party Dealer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I’ve been on the hunt for a Model S performance for a few weeks now, and I need it to have FUCS. I’ve been reading up on this forum about some nightmares people are having when buying from 3rd party dealers, as they aren’t aware of the history of the car.

Because of this, I was mainly looking at private party SC01 model S examples with about 100k miles in the $25-35k range. I recently came across a one owner for $30k with only 32k miles. This car supposedly has SC01, and the contact at the dealership said he has talked to Tesla as well as his service manager and they both said it will transfer. Idrc about what the device manager has to say, but if Tesla themselves are saying it then I can’t be getting lied to right?

In order to be fully transparent, I’ll link the exact car I’m talking about below, offered for sale at McLaren of Chicago. The carfax is available for free as well, and oddly it shows multiple tire swaps, which is another story in itself I have no idea why that is keeps popping up in the service history.

Where I need your help is to know if this car for sure has SC01, and that the FUSC transfers to me after I buy it and register it in my name. (Any insight on the tire replacement would be helpful too). I’m planning on buying the car and taking it to Texas where I recently got a new job, so will have plenty of supercharging to do. Thanks I’m advance for any insight in this matter.

Everything I got when researching my 2015 S 85D I picked up a few weeks ago there isn't any real guarantee...
Generally it seems that at long as Tesla never resold it then it should still be there.
If you look at the charging page it would be nice to see a location listed under recent supercharging showing $0.
Also good to see premium connectivity listed without an expiration on the software page.
Better yet would be to stop by the supercharger and verify it charges for free...

To my knowledge it never went back to the hands of Tesla, as in the carfax it shows Audi of Baton Rouge LA “sold” the car and McLaren of Chicago bought it and is now selling it.
That doesn't mean anything. Mine was a lease sold at auction by Tesla to Vroom. There was no record of that in the carfax and still it happened and i lost FUSC.

Do not plan on having FUSC if you are buying from a dealer. If you end up having it great, but if you plan for it you may be very disappointed. If FUSC is a must, you better go with a private party sale.

I know you're asking about FUSC, but also a word of caution about paying a premium for a very low mileage car. There are some informed opinions on this forum about low usage contributing to more failures of seals in the large drive unit (which all RWD cars have). More generally, low mileage means that the previous owner is much less likely to have already dealt with common issues with the early Model S's. Some are small (like door handles that stop working) and other issues are more expensive (like suspension work).

I think your original strategy of looking for private party cars in the 100K mileage range is a better one - you'll pay significantly less for a car with a better service history.

Reactions: ucmndd
I know you're asking about FUSC, but also a word of caution about paying a premium for a very low mileage car. There are some informed opinions on this forum about low usage contributing to more failures of seals in the large drive unit (which all RWD cars have). More generally, low mileage means that the previous owner is much less likely to have already dealt with common issues with the early Model S's. Some are small (like door handles that stop working) and other issues are more expensive (like suspension work).

I think your original strategy of looking for private party cars in the 100K mileage range is a better one - you'll pay significantly less for a car with a better service history.
100% agree. A higher mileage but newer car for the same price is a much better strategy. I wouldn’t purchase a 2013 Model S at this point for pretty much any price.

Reactions: dbldwn02
As for the original question about supercharging - the ad shows the dealer is clearly advertising the car with free unlimited charging. That’s an open and shut case for you even if Tesla ultimately strips it away. You’ll have recourse with the dealer if the features they’re advertising ultimately turn out to not be true.

If it’s a 3rd party
Hey guys, I’ve been on the hunt for a Model S performance for a few weeks now, and I need it to have FUCS. I’ve been reading up on this forum about some nightmares people are having when buying from 3rd party dealers, as they aren’t aware of the history of the car.

Because of this, I was mainly looking at private party SC01 model S examples with about 100k miles in the $25-35k range. I recently came across a one owner for $30k with only 32k miles. This car supposedly has SC01, and the contact at the dealership said he has talked to Tesla as well as his service manager and they both said it will transfer. Idrc about what the device manager has to say, but if Tesla themselves are saying it then I can’t be getting lied to right?

In order to be fully transparent, I’ll link the exact car I’m talking about below, offered for sale at McLaren of Chicago. The carfax is available for free as well, and oddly it shows multiple tire swaps, which is another story in itself I have no idea why that is keeps popping up in the service history.

Where I need your help is to know if this car for sure has SC01, and that the FUSC transfers to me after I buy it and register it in my name. (Any insight on the tire replacement would be helpful too). I’m planning on buying the car and taking it to Texas where I recently got a new job, so will have plenty of supercharging to do. Thanks I’m advance for any insight in this matter.

subject says 3rd party then you say private party then you list a 3rd party.

Which is it?

With 3rd party there is a good chance you’ll lose free super charging.

• Disagree
Reactions: ucmndd
With 3rd party there is a good chance you’ll lose free super charging.
This is not like playing the lottery and hoping to beat the odds.

All the variables in play can be controlled/verified. The only relevant question in this case is “did Tesla ever repossess the car after initial sale.”

The answer to that question in this case is pretty clearly no, so there’s basically no risk.