Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing Drive Mode On The Fly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you sure that 1.5's ever had the key function? My recollection was that this was new in the 2.0's, and my assumption at the time was that the 1.5's didn't have the hardware to support it.

I received a reply to the "key drive selection" question from Tesla, it was included with the very old firmware (3+ years ago) and didn't get inherited in later firmware updates. So if you have the key selection, you most likely have old outdated firmware. Too bad.

My 2.5 still has this feature. It's always been there; never went away. Used it while driving today. It surprises me that they would have dropped it on the 1.5 after adding it.

Thanks (with a sigh). I have a feeling this is a possible software mistake where the code somehow got missed and failed to carry over to the later firmware versions. The other thing that's odd is that the Temp Display doesn't show the numbers in C on the 1.5's for the bar graphs when in user debug. I'm curious if that ever displayed values at one time and got dropped as well.

So some good folks at Tesla researched this further for me which is great, it appears the touch screen drive select functionality was introduced with the 2.0's. The 1.5 owners saw this and wanted it, and to have it supported Tesla had to remove the key cylinder functionality from the 1.5's due to a compatibility issue. We don't know what this issue is however that required that functionality to be removed.

So it appears the touch screen and key selection never co-existed on the 1.5 Roadsters.

I normally drives in standard mode. If i want to change it while driving, normally i want to change it to Performance. But it changes to Max range on the first touch, and Performance on the second. Thats enoying! I would like to have a red button on my steeringwheel to have a Quick change into Performance! I have a 2.5.

When driving down the road, is there any indicator as to what mode you are in, (range, standard or performance)?

Yes, the little battery symbol on the VDS shows text on top of it - either nothing (Standard), "Performance", or "Max Range".

Actually there's one more thing it can say. I've found that if you put the car in Storage mode and then drive it, it'll say "Storage" even while you're driving. More of a "feature" than a bug, but kinda silly.

I normally drives in standard mode. If i want to change it while driving, normally i want to change it to Performance. But it changes to Max range on the first touch, and Performance on the second. Thats enoying!...

I agree with this! Annoying! If I'm in Standard and at a stoplight, odds are much greater that I will want to go directly into Performance that I would want to suddenly get more range.

The conversation above proves this out but I did try key turn in my 1.5 today to no avail. I really thought both worked at the same time but I guess I could be wrong.

Still though, the whole pull-up-the-emergency-brake-one *one* click-while-driving to allow a functional turn the key was a PITA work around (The car would alarm that the E-Brake is pulled while moving) so Wiztecy this is the much better solution.

I agree with this! Annoying! If I'm in Standard and at a stoplight, odds are much greater that I will want to go directly into Performance that I would want to suddenly get more range.

After driving more than 18 months and 13,000 miles I think Tesla did it right. With the 1.5 there is little to no difference between standard and performance mode. The acceleration is the same verified at the race trace and by a ranger. Where the "performance" mode helps is on repeated 1/4 mile runs or a LONG autocross where your battery has a chance to hit the upper temperature limit. Performance mode lets you run the battery hotter, giving full power for longer times. On normal street driving I never reach the temperature limits. Now the Ranger confirmed and I saw this on the track, the 2.5's do see a difference in standard and performance mode of a few tenths of a second. Get a friend with a stop watch to check to be sure.

So standard mode meets most of my needs and when I hit the display I normally need range mode as I am on a road trip.

I have an experimental feature in my Tattler that puts the car in performance mode automatically, immediately after start.
Now I drive around in performance mode all the time. Nice to have the extra oomf by just putting putting the foot down.
It's come in handy many times ;-)