Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

changing headlights on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

You are wrong

Can change headlamps LED to MXB or MXB to LED, car year and model doesent matter 3 or Y

coding in gateway, firmware update and its done

There are hardware signatures in the headlights. Tesla will know if the hardware signatures have been swapped. You will see it in the service mode. Sometimes if the hardware signature is different - things like the turn signals won't work. Or you will get a fast flash, or the bright lights won't work, or you will lose auto beam switching.

Most importantly in my case - I lost Autopilot. The car won't go into autopilot if it determines that the turn signals don't work. It will say "AutoPilot unavailable ". Or what if there was a defective drivers headlight hardware signature only - Autopilot will enable, however it wouldn't change lanes to the left. I had to disengage Autopilot - change lanes - then re-enable autopilot every time.

Last edited:
I just got a quote from Tesla service for $1600 for one headlight on a 2020 Model 3. I'm not sure that is really the "cost of a headlight replacement nowadays". Wow, that is crazy. There is actually nothing wrong with my headlight, I just have a cracked lens. Looks like I'm gonna replace the lens or entire part with a used one I think. I'm still amazed at that cost. There is no ways that isn't four times the actual manufacturing cost plus labor.
In 2021 someone backed into my 2020 M3. Back then the cost for the new headlight unit was $978, but that didn't include installation.