Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

changing headlights on model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
coding in gateway, firmware update and its done
There is an enormous thread on this. You cannot update the gateway without hacking the car, and nothing prevents Tesla from reverting it. Of course it's technically feasible, but at least in the USA, there is really nobody that will update your gateway for you as they are all deep underground because once they are known Tesla would be able to close the door on their process. Tesla refuses to do it for customers even though it's possible.

If you know how to edit the gateway to change headlight types, go in that thread and tell everyone, you would make a lot of people very happy.

There is an enormous thread on this. You cannot update the gateway without hacking the car, and nothing prevents Tesla from reverting it. Of course it's technically feasible, but at least in the USA, there is really nobody that will update your gateway for you as they are all deep underground because once they are known Tesla would be able to close the door on their process. Tesla refuses to do it for customers even though it's possible.

If you know how to edit the gateway to change headlight types, go in that thread and tell everyone, you would make a lot of people very happy.
Write PM if you need help, we can do remotely

Write PM if you need help, we can do remotely
You need to write @WhiteM3P- They've been trying to retrofit Matrix headlights for a year now with no luck on getting the gateway config changed. You appear to be the only ones in the world willing to do it.

But it also appears you are selling this as a service, not telling people how to do it themselves, which means that it isn't as easy as changing the gateway config since no normal user can do that. It just means you can pay someone to do it.

Reactions: WhiteM3P-
Not surprised that Central/Eastern European shops (who make all kind of changes to imported Teslas and other brands) have figured this out.

Old and new salvaged title and undamaged US spec Model Ss, Xs and now 3/Ys all over Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Slovakia etc: decoupled from mothership Borg collective, sideloaded with latest software and locallized EU maps, retrofitted for EU L3 charging standards, or reneabled for supercharging.

Extrapolating, with a little bit of pyth0n, the config on these things is likely changed bypassing the gateway entirely.

Brawo rodacy.

Not surprised that Central/Eastern European shops (who make all kind of changes to imported Teslas and other brands) have figured this out.

Old and new salvaged title and undamaged US spec Model Ss, Xs and now 3/Ys all over Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Ukraine, Belarus, Russia, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Slovakia etc: decoupled from mothership Borg collective, sideloaded with latest software and locallized EU maps, retrofitted for EU L3 charging standards, or reneabled for supercharging.

Extrapolating, with a little bit of pyth0n, the config on these things is likely changed bypassing the gateway entirely.

Brawo rodacy.
They’re usually the first ones to crack coding and offer retrofits on many European vehicles too. BMW, VAG, Mercedes etc.

I hope someone eventually comes out with a DIY coding tool for Tesla like Bimmercode for BMW or VCDS/OBDeleven for VAG.

Pretty sure @verygreen and the like figured all of this out years ago, long before any Model 3's were in Europe. Both he and @zrachwal84 posted in this thread teasing that it's not hard, but of course they also aren't sharing how to do it:

This isn't quite like the BMW/VAG stuff, because of the fact the car is OTA updated all the time. Any kind of backdoor Tesla doesn't want will just be patched in the next update. So you can't actually sell a commercial product that does this or Tesla will just shut it down. So everyone that knows has to be very quiet or risk losing their own access and revenue stream completely.

Meanwhile, the BMW/VAG stuff is just using the exact same processes and tools that are used by all their dealers to work on cars, and once the car leaves the factory it can't be patched. So you can actually package that into a commercial product and sell it.

Reactions: E90alex
Pretty sure @verygreen and the like figured all of this out years ago, long before any Model 3's were in Europe. Both he and @zrachwal84 posted in this thread teasing that it's not hard, but of course they also aren't sharing how to do it:

This isn't quite like the BMW/VAG stuff, because of the fact the car is OTA updated all the time. Any kind of backdoor Tesla doesn't want will just be patched in the next update. So you can't actually sell a commercial product that does this or Tesla will just shut it down. So everyone that knows has to be very quiet or risk losing their own access and revenue stream completely.

Meanwhile, the BMW/VAG stuff is just using the exact same processes and tools that are used by all their dealers to work on cars, and once the car leaves the factory it can't be patched. So you can actually package that into a commercial product and sell it.
Look gateway values and root of mcu is two different things.

it's no need to hack mcu to change gateway values.

Btw, headlight config it's not secure like supercharger access, premium connectivity or autopilot version.

Yes we can change any values on car, they try 5 years to fix this via ota and nothing.

App, updates is working, supercharger on salvage cars also can unlock without stupid policy of tesla service senter.

If you need help just write

Btw, headlight config it's not secure like supercharger access, premium connectivity or autopilot version.

Yes we can change any values on car, they try 5 years to fix this via ota and nothing.

App, updates is working, supercharger on salvage cars also can unlock without stupid policy of tesla service senter.

I found this thread via Google and I'd LOVE to be able to access the Gateway to swap to the matrix lights on my M3LR. I tried my BroadR adapter, but no dice getting it to sync up to the MCU. I had to come create an account here to ask, I'd DM you but I don't have enough posts for DM access yet!

They’re usually the first ones to crack coding and offer retrofits on many European vehicles too. BMW, VAG, Mercedes etc.

I hope someone eventually comes out with a DIY coding tool for Tesla like Bimmercode for BMW or VCDS/OBDeleven for VAG.

There is this, but the gateway access method here seems to be more involved than other methods (and probably not possible on Ryzen cars)

There is this, but the gateway access method here seems to be more involved than other methods (and probably not possible on Ryzen cars)
Unlocking the gateway is trivial, service mode tells you how to do it.
Knowing exactly what command to send the gateway is the issue, and Loki doesn't tell you how to do it, they charge you $4000 for software that does it for you.
It does appear that if you can find someone with a Loki they could do this though.

Unlocking the gateway is trivial, service mode tells you how to do it.
Knowing exactly what command to send the gateway is the issue, and Loki doesn't tell you how to do it, they charge you $4000 for software that does it for you.
It does appear that if you can find someone with a Loki they could do this though.
Yeah I downloaded the software to see if I could figure out what they're doing. I got a little excited when I saw it was made with .net, but unsurprisingly heavily obfuscated.

Yeah, that thing seems to be a heavy pricetag for being able to retrofit parts. Looks to be aimed at the budget of shops more than enthusiasts. That being said, shorting the CLK pin on the MCU like they show in their 'jumper' method aught to keep the MCU from fully booting which means it shouldn't load the firewall rules and we MIGHT be able to access the gateway via the onboard ethernet jack. Maybe.

@WhiteM3P- are you gonna try it?

Any updates to this curious on if this is reasonably easy to do on a 2018 model 3 performance. If I could get used matrix headlights off eBay or something and somehow get it reconfig without too much of a hassle?

I have gotten a service tech to reconfigure the car for the PWS speaker even though Tesla corporate denied it through the app I had a cool service tech hook up his laptop literally took not even 3 minutes to reconfigure and works as intended even though it's not a approved retrofit through Tesla corporate apparently.

Reactions: Mbaku and WhiteM3P-
Aside from the software aspect of it would these be pretty much plug and Play?
Like no fiddling around with hacking wiring harnesses or anything?
And does anybody notice any difference between matrix headlights out put performance over just a regular headlight?
Anything really useful out of them besides the light show?

Aside from the software aspect of it would these be pretty much plug and Play?
Like no fiddling around with hacking wiring harnesses or anything?
And does anybody notice any difference between matrix headlights out put performance over just a regular headlight?
Anything really useful out of them besides the light show?
Apparently brighter and less power consumption. I can vouch for the brighter part. Can't confirm the less power consumption part.

I just got a quote from Tesla service for $1600 for one headlight on a 2020 Model 3. I'm not sure that is really the "cost of a headlight replacement nowadays". Wow, that is crazy. There is actually nothing wrong with my headlight, I just have a cracked lens. Looks like I'm gonna replace the lens or entire part with a used one I think. I'm still amazed at that cost. There is no ways that isn't four times the actual manufacturing cost plus labor.