Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Changing settings for wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not a dumb question at all.

Yes, you can change them to Gemini in the tire settings menu. This will tell the car to assume that you have Gemini wheels and tires, which will change the visualization and mileage estimates to assume this. Those could be wildly inaccurate depending on the specific wheels and tires you install.

Not a dumb question at all.

Yes, you can change them to Gemini in the tire settings menu. This will tell the car to assume that you have Gemini wheels and tires, which will change the visualization and mileage estimates to assume this. Those could be wildly inaccurate depending on the specific wheels and tires you install.
Got ya. Anyway to get the most accurate reading as possible? I go on road trips often and don't want to have to guess the mileage that I will have on my battery.

I think its accuracy will depend on how close your wheels are to the OEM of that size. Particularly with regard to rolling resistance and aerodynamics.

From my understanding, this will change the range estimate that’s used in place of the battery percentage. I don’t think this will have much effect on the energy consumption screen because that uses your recent efficiency for its calculations.

I swapped my 21" OEM UT tires/wheels for some 18s from TSportLine and since the rolling diameter of the 18s was within an inch of the 21s I was advised to just leave the car set to 21s. So you need to compare the rolling diameter of the OEM tires to what you installed, but ideally, you if stayed within the same range your good.

BTW I went with 245/50-18 tires on my PMY and did check for Speedometer errors with BEFORE and AFTER road tests on my DRAGY and the readings were identical.

I think the setting has more to do with range calculation than anything else. All of the factory sizes are extremely close in diameter, and 245/50-18 is just as close to the Gemini 19s as it is the Uberturbine 21s.

According to the Model Y manual, here are the OEM sizes:
Tire SizeLocationSize
19"Front/Rear255/45R19 XL
20"Front/Rear255/40R20 XL
21"Front255/35R21 XL
21"Rear275/35R21 XL

Wheel DiameterLocationWidth (in)Offset (mm)
19"Front/Rear9.545
20"Front/Rear9.545
21"Front9.540
21"Rear10.548

Lug Nut Torque129 lb. ft (175 Nm)
Lug Nut Socket Size21 mm

So using this tire size calculator:

it says that these are the circumferences (rolling distances):
OEM 19 -- 2237 mm​
OEM 20 -- 2237 mm​
OEM 21 front -- 2236 mm​
OEM 21 rear -- 2280 mm​

So when changing to an 18" wheel, here is a nice calculator that easily shows the difference in tire sizes for 18, 19, 20, and 21 in a table (put 255/45R19 in the entry on the left, press the calculate button, then look at the table on the right; "18", "19", "20", and "21" are clickable):

For example, a 255/50R18 tire on an 18 wheel has the same circumference as the OEM 19, 20, and 21 tires so the speedometer and distance will still be correct.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

It says that these are the circumferences (rolling distances):
OEM 19 -- 2237 mm​
OEM 20 -- 2237 mm​
Very Helpful...Tesla represents the range for the 19" rims at 330 and for the 20" at 318. Given that the rolling distances are the same, is the differences in range solely a result of the Aero covers on the 19" vs the induction style of the 20" ?

Very Helpful...Tesla represents the range for the 19" rims at 330 and for the 20" at 318. Given that the rolling distances are the same, is the differences in range solely a result of the Aero covers on the 19" vs the induction style of the 20" ?

People have reported seeing differences because of the covers. Rimetrix (the wheel cover folks) looked at milage differences between the Tesla Gemini covers and their covers (which I own). Likewise, the tire itself also makes a difference (as does tire pressure). The difference between 330 and 318 is about 4% so considering covers+tire differences seems like a reasonable explanation.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

According to the Model Y manual, here are the OEM sizes:
Tire SizeLocationSize
19"Front/Rear255/45R19 XL
20"Front/Rear255/40R20 XL
21"Front255/35R21 XL
21"Rear275/35R21 XL

Wheel DiameterLocationWidth (in)Offset (mm)
19"Front/Rear9.545
20"Front/Rear9.545
21"Front9.540
21"Rear10.548

Lug Nut Torque129 lb. ft (175 Nm)
Lug Nut Socket Size21 mm

So using this tire size calculator:

it says that these are the circumferences (rolling distances):
OEM 19 -- 2237 mm​
OEM 20 -- 2237 mm​
OEM 21 front -- 2236 mm​
OEM 21 rear -- 2280 mm​

So when changing to an 18" wheel, here is a nice calculator that easily shows the difference in tire sizes for 18, 19, 20, and 21 in a table (put 255/45R19 in the entry on the left, press the calculate button, then look at the table on the right; "18", "19", "20", and "21" are clickable):

For example, a 255/50R18 tire on an 18 wheel has the same circumference as the OEM 19, 20, and 21 tires so the speedometer and distance will still be correct.

Scott

--

If we change MYP wheels to OEM 20 induction wheel and tires will it cause any discrepancy on the speedometer or odometer? front circumference is almost identical with OEM 21 but OEM 21 rear has larger circumference. I am guessing speedometer and odometer is based on front wheel rotation?

I also trying to get a set of 18 inch rims for winter tires. But seems like 255/50 tires are very limited, so I’m going to go with 235/55 which the overall diameter is slightly larger so revolution is less. My question is, will that affect my odometer reading?

I also trying to get a set of 18 inch rims for winter tires. But seems like 255/50 tires are very limited, so I’m going to go with 235/55 which the overall diameter is slightly larger so revolution is less. My question is, will that affect my odometer reading?

In theory, but the difference would be really small. Not enough to worry about.

1682769342438.png

I swapped my 21" OEM UT tires/wheels for some 18s from TSportLine and since the rolling diameter of the 18s was within an inch of the 21s I was advised to just leave the car set to 21s. So you need to compare the rolling diameter of the OEM tires to what you installed, but ideally, you if stayed within the same range your good.
This is very interesting as I just now finished putting on TSportLine 18" TS5, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 wheels on my new Model Y Performance. The 21" UberTurbine rims look nice but I hate the tires, rubber band side walls are not my look and they damage easily and are very heavy. I wanted better range while keeping the 0-60 in 3.5 seconds (or less). Good to know I can keep the 21" tire setting on the car and it won't make much of a difference to my speedometer.

One question...wouldn't changing the tire size in the settings show me a closer number to the real range? Isn't that setting used in the range calculation? And if so, then changing it from the 21" wheel setting to the lowest in the menu of 19" would be the better option for the car showing range numbers.