Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge Connector Update in Progress..."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
TWCs definitely have firmware and a CPU and do a bunch of stuff to keep charging safe and load share between connected TWCs. The firmware has changed since the first TWCs and newer ones use a different protocol to communicate between TWCs. This is all talked about here.

It's highly unlikely that any piece of modern electronics does not have firmware. Many don't have firmware that is upgradable without using special tools, so it may seem like it doesn't have firmware, but everything these days needs at least a tiny CPU and some intelligence provided by firmware. Also, how do you think they will turn evil and take over the world without firmware?

I heard a rumor (not sure where it started) that Tesla always intended to update TWC firmware through the charger cable but there were problems with the process and they disabled it. They may have only gotten it working and started doing it with a recent car firmware update, which would explain why nobody has encountered a message like this before. Also, when the firmware update goes as planned, it probably only takes a few minutes and you would be lucky to be in the car and see the message. I suspect this message was seen because the update had a problem and froze for some reason.

Interesting! This could possibly explain the very small change in behavior I've recently seen with my wall connectors. They are linked together (via signal cable) and share a 100A circuit. Until recently if the S is plugged in, the 3 will never use the full current, even if the S is done charging. They both show 40A as available (advertised from wall connector I assume). If I unplug the S, the 3 jumps to 48A available and charge rate increases. Recently I noticed the 3 now gets 48A even if the S is connected to the other connector.

I have the same setup. I haven’t seen my HPWCs update yet, and I still see 8A “reserved” for a car that is plugged in but not charging. I assume it’s 8A because that’s the least that can be offered to the car.

I have the same setup. I haven’t seen my HPWCs update yet, and I still see 8A “reserved” for a car that is plugged in but not charging. I assume it’s 8A because that’s the least that can be offered to the car.

In the latest TWC firmware I've seen, 6A is the minimum it will offer a car (even though you can set 5A in the car's UI). I don't know why it would reserve 8A.

What’s a TWC? The old acronym was HPWC (High Power Wall Connector), now Tesla just calls it Wall Connector without an acronym.

TWC is Tesla Wall Connector. Technically maybe the T shouldn't be there since it wasn't there in HPWC but TWC is more likely to be found in a search engine and seems more recognizable. Also, Wall Connector (WC) is completely ambiguous outside of a Tesla forum, whereas HPWC was fairly unique, as is TWC. TWC is also the acronym I saw first, so I'm using it and you can't stop me! MUHAHAHAHA!

TWC is Tesla Wall Connector. Technically maybe the T shouldn't be there since it wasn't there in HPWC but TWC is more likely to be found in a search engine and seems more recognizable. Also, Wall Connector (WC) is completely ambiguous outside of a Tesla forum, whereas HPWC was fairly unique, as is TWC. TWC is also the acronym I saw first, so I'm using it and you can't stop me! MUHAHAHAHA!

Now that Time Warner Cable became Spectrum, TWC is available.

WC is always Water Closet to me...

I kinda prefer HPWC. Anything shorter is hard to search up.

Reactions: Rocky_H
See attached screenshot of the changelog that indicates the HPWC will be updated.

hpwc.jpg

Hi
i have wallbox gen 2 this.

I'm trying to switch DIP so I can offer another car than Tesla.
But it doesn't work. can you advise anyone?

I have tesla working there.
I also have a skoda enyaq and it doesn't work there.
How do I play firmwate in gen2?

I have:

Wall gen 2
WC, EU, 3P.230-415 - 32A
HW, LNG, TESLA ONLY
P / N: 1050071-03-J

Hi
i have wallbox gen 2 this.

I'm trying to switch DIP so I can offer another car than Tesla.
But it doesn't work. can you advise anyone?

I have tesla working there.
I also have a skoda enyaq and it doesn't work there.
How do I play firmwate in gen2?

I have:

Wall gen 2
WC, EU, 3P.230-415 - 32A
HW, LNG, TESLA ONLY
P / N: 1050071-03-J
It depends on how it is wired. It looks like you have the 3-phase version? If you do, it can be wired in one of three ways. Is it single phase with Neutral (230v nominal)? Or is it 3-phase with N (400v; 230v each ph to N)? Or is it wired without using the Neutral from the panel? The latter can be either single phase or three phase but connects one of the phase wires from mains to the N terminal in the WC, and there is no N wire from mains connected to anything. Once you determine which wiring configuration you have, let us know.

I'm not familiar with Skoda but many brands of cars cannot charge if the Tesla Wall Charger is wired without N, especially in the last configuration (three phase). I know this used to be true with BMW. I believe the problem is that many non-Tesla vehicles require all three phases to be separate from Neutral and distinct phases from each other. You may be able to fix this to charge non-Teslas by re-wiring the wall charger to single phase.

I can probably send you a link to the installation manual for the Gen 2 WC 32A if I dig around for it. Let me know.