Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge-gate" on Dec Model S builds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can also confirm that this is a real issue. I have a Dec '17 build loaner and was contacted today (proactively) that they would like to send a ranger to swap the charge port as the loaner car may be unable to use Superchargers due to poor charge port fitment.
We were planning on stopping by the SC on Saturday but maybe they'll contact us before then.

This explains why I was unable to plug in @ a supercharger station after multiple tries, without thinking I switched to another station and it worked. I picked mine on 5 Dec.

I had same problem, got mine fix today at Mississauga Tesla Service Center, very fast fix, I forgot to ask them how they fix this as invoice only shows " Diagnosis indicates latching mechanism and charge port calibration was required on vehicle." ... No charge.

While I have had the problem of the difficult charge port (MS100D Dec. 2017), I was never unable to charge at a supercharger. But it was far harder than using my HPWC wand at home. I was also fortunate that I got a proactive call from the local (Rockville, MD) service center, and they scheduled a mobile tech to come out and replace the defective part. He was out the next day (yesterday) and had the new port installed in about 1 hr. No muss, no fuss on my part

So far, that is my second interaction with Tesla service. My first was when I stopped by the SC because I had broken a couple of plastic panel clips installing some cams and I wanted to buy a couple. They just handed me a handful and sent me on my way with no charge. :)