Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Charge-gate" on Dec Model S builds

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have the same problem with our S we picked up on 23 Dec. Wanted to use the Supercharger on Oregon coast after Xmas and it wouldn't work.... After changing stalls 2x, we called number on charging station. The guy was nice, but didn't mention that they were having trouble with new car ports and superchargers. He told us to make sure everything was clean and to keep trying. Finally got it in far enough that it worked, but getting it back out was really difficult. I will be calling the service center this week..

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
All new Model S we had were a but snug at first, especially when using a brand new HPWC, but they loosened up withing few days of use.
No charge port problems on my model s oct build with early nov. delivery. But I’m wondering if tesla sent their “A” team to work on mod 3 production problems, leaving their “b” team to build mod s/x. Just speculation.
I truly doubt the shape of the charge connector has anything whatsoever to do with the team building your car. It comes as a molded piece of plastic. Maybe there was a batch that was tighter than speced, but if so that's a supplier issue, not the build team. On all 3 of our Model 3's the charge connector was tight at the very beginning. The mobile connector is for some reason the smallest and works easiest. HPWC connector is bigger, so on a new MS you can feel it really tight. Supercharger is for some reason the biggest. Out 75 hasn't seen a supercharger yet, but over the first few weeks the HPWC went from tight to smooth and easy to plug/remove.

Reactions: David29
My Nov 24th delivery 100D has this issue. I called the next morning with my 1772 adapter stuck unable to get it out. I was warned it could take 50-100 insertions to loosen up. I thought it was just me. I get the yellow ring at the Northern Austin Super charger, such that I only go to certain ones to make it easier. I'm getting the hang up it or it is indeed 'loosening up.'

My Nov 24th delivery 100D has this issue. I called the next morning with my 1772 adapter stuck unable to get it out. I was warned it could take 50-100 insertions to loosen up. I thought it was just me. I get the yellow ring at the Northern Austin Super charger, such that I only go to certain ones to make it easier. I'm getting the hang up it or it is indeed 'loosening up.'

soon as xpel is done can report back first hand how "sculpting" works out on superchargers.

Got my Model S on the 26th as well. Tried charging at a local super charger. It was very difficult to plug the charger in. A fellow Tesla owner who was charging his car helped me. A couple tries and it worked. At home, I have trouble while un-plugging. It is a little tight and I have to certainly put more energy to pull it out than to plug it in. I am sure there is something with the Dec deliveries !

Interesting to read all of these, I thought I was crazy and the only one. Picked up my December build on 12/22 and made sure I tested the charger connection during my delivery so I was familiar with how much force was needed and how to operate it properly. I had no issues at the SC when taking delivery and was pleased with how easy it was.

During my first supercharger visit the following week, I thought my car was broken. After trying multiple stalls, I couldn't for the life of me get the cable to connect without an amber light and there was a lot of force required to remove it when the ring turned white. I thought it could be an issue with the supercharger so when someone else pulled in, I asked if he was having any difficulties. He was able to connect immediately to one of the stalls I tried previously without any issue and told me that the ports can take a few weeks to break in. I asked him to help me with mine to see if I was doing something wrong and was surprised at the amount of force required to finally get a green ring.

When I returned home and tried the mobile connector for the first time, the fit was perfect and required very little force. Since this seems to be related to the superchargers only, I will wait a few weeks and see if breaking it in helps before I have it checked out at the service center.

Reactions: Snobun
I just took delivery on December 26 and at home I am constantly getting amber on the car. Wiggling the connector a bit will get me to green eventually, but it's really hard to pull out as well. I wonder if I am having a similar issue...

Just following up on this. I visited a supercharger this weekend and the connector inserted fine, but had issues going green. Finally got it to work after a few tries.

My car entered production on 12/2 and was delivered on 12/16. When I made my first supercharger attempt, I found that I could not get the cable to latch, no matter how hard I pushed it in. I asked the person charging next to me if he could help a newbie. He couldn't get it in either. Fortunately, the supercharger was at a Tesla showroom, which was still open (6:30 pm). Service was closed, but one of the staff came over; she warned me that it would look like she was going to damage my car but assured me that she wouldn't. Then she took the handle and shoved it in and wrenched it left and right in what I will call a "spirited" fashion (which other might describe as violent), while applying force into the receptacle and it finally latched.

I have now been able to replicate this work-around myself and get it to work a few times by practicing there and at another supercharger where I stopped only for practice (so I will not be stranded unable to charge when I actually need it). I am hoping it wears to become easier with time. Hopefully, once Tesla gets wind of the widespread problems, they will replace these uncooperative charge port parts in production (and service) with something without the problem.

Reactions: Snobun
Delivery on 12/23 in Fremont - having the same issue with the J1772 adapter for my home L2 charger. Inserting the charger with a lot of force will get past the amber light to the green, but it takes a lot of effort.