Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charge my Tesla y while on vacation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am new to owning a Tesla Y and all the information needed to enjoy it. I live in SF NM and it is in the 30's F. at night. I have Tesla charger I'm my garage, I am leaving my car in my garage for an extended period of time. Should I leave my Tesla plugged in continously for several weeks. I can set the charge at 60-70% to begin at 11:00 PM.

Please advise me, I appreciate your help, thanks in advance, Dee J

Hi, I am new to owning a Tesla Y and all the information needed to enjoy it. I live in SF NM and it is in the 30's F. at night. I have Tesla charger I'm my garage, I am leaving my car in my garage for an extended period of time. Should I leave my Tesla plugged in continously for several weeks. I can set the charge at 60-70% to begin at 11:00 PM.

Yes. Plug the car in like it tells you to in the manual. For bonus points set the charge limit to 50%.

The winter temperatures are not going to trigger the Tesla Model Y to warm the battery except when getting ready to charge. Leave the Tesla Model Y plugged in as previously noted. Set Sentry Mode to be off when parked at your Home location (Home location is set inside the Tesla Navigation system settings) so the Tesla Model Y will enter sleep mode. This will save energy and the Tesla Model Y will not have to charge as often while parked.

Reactions: Thp3 and ArtK
The winter temperatures are not going to trigger the Tesla Model Y to warm the battery except when getting ready to charge. Leave the Tesla Model Y plugged in as previously noted. Set Sentry Mode to be off when parked at your Home location (Home location is set inside the Tesla Navigation system settings) so the Tesla Model Y will enter sleep mode. This will save energy and the Tesla Model Y will not have to charge as often while parked.
Great idea about setting sentry to be off at home 👍🏼

I'm bumping this because this is already good advice, but:

I keep my '23 MYLR at 80%. We go on vacation soon for about 5 days.

Should I set it to 50% and let it degrade (it won't by that much).

Or do I leave it set to 80% as normal and just let it 'top off' every night?

Btw, I did set Sentry to Off.

Thanks!

Last year I was away on vacation for 3 weeks, and if I remember correctly, I left the car unplugged at 80 perc. After 3 weeks, the car barely lost any charge (sentry was off being at home in the garage).
Is that bad (I will be away for 4 weeks soon)?

Thanks!
50% is better and especially if you don’t charge it for the last couple days so it actually sits at 50% while you’re away. If you let it charge to 80% first then just set it to 50% for vacation that’s pretty pointless because it shouldn’t lose much charge and would just sit at the higher SOC.

Last year I was away on vacation for 3 weeks, and if I remember correctly, I left the car unplugged at 80 perc. After 3 weeks, the car barely lost any charge (sentry was off being at home in the garage).
Is that bad (I will be away for 4 weeks soon)?
It’s not bad. But 50% plugged in will be better. Unplugged should be fine too but plugged in is better in case of some weird phantom drain or bug causes the car to not be able to sleep and drain the battery.

Reactions: FlyF4 and m d g
50% is better and especially if you don’t charge it for the last couple days so it actually sits at 50% while you’re away. If you let it charge to 80% first then just set it to 50% for vacation that’s pretty pointless because it shouldn’t lose much charge and would just sit at the higher SOC.
Thanks. So next time I go away I will have to plan a little bit and get the battery down below 50% before I leave.

Reactions: FlyF4

We were gone on an RV trip to for almost 2 weeks. We charged to 80% and left it plugged in for the duration of our trip. No problems when we returned

Thanks!
For up to 1 week I would do nothing out of the usual routine. Park in a secure garage with Sentry turned off. Plug in or not depending your preference. Leave the battery between 50% and 80%. After 5 days I would expect to find ~1% loss of charge when you return. (Tesla Model Y won't charge until the battery SOC drops a couple of percent.) Don't repeatedly open the Tesla app while you are away. Every time you open the Tesla app the Tesla Model Y will awaken from sleep/deep sleep and remain in standby mode for a short time, i.e. ~15 minutes where the Tesla Model Y will consume more power.

Reactions: m d g
Thanks. So next time I go away I will have to plan a little bit and get the battery down below 50% before I leave.
You dont have to do that (plan to let it get below 50% before leaving). I mean, it wont hurt if you do that, but it wont hurt if you leave with it at 70% or 80% and let it dwindle down on its own.

Just like its "better for ones health if you never drink alchohol at all", if one chooses to have 1 beer a week, they will not suddenly be unhealthy because of that. Same deal here.