Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vacation Condo Vehicle; Lost Phone Key connection, now can't control charging/security/etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How did you turn off the phone key? After I set it up, I disabled it under the Security & Drivers section of the app, and I still have my controls. App version 4.33.0 on iOS. I did NOT delete the phone key in the car under Controls > Locks.
I honestly do not recall if I just disabled it in the app or removed the iPad as phone key in the car under Controls > Locks. It’s possible that is the key difference between our experience but I’m away from my car on business trip at the moment so not able to check to confirm this.

I did also check my work iPhone which I also have the Tesla app installed, but have never set it up as a phone key. It also does not show capability for any controls, although I can see the car, current SOC, location, etc. I’m also running Tesla app iOS version 4.33.0 on both my phones and my iPad, but it’s only my personal phone which I have current paired as phone key where I see the Controls capability.

That's interesting, for my android phone this is not the case at least for older versions. In fact one of the touted features of Teslas is that if you lose your keys you can install an app on a third party phone and remote unlock and remote start it in an emergency. Maybe they changed this recently.

I should note with all the talk about iPads, Tesla recently discontinued tablet support in Android, they may also have reduced functionality on iPads. Did anyone try on an iPhone and have the same thing happen (no controls if phone not set as phone key)?
I have the same experience on my work iPhone that I do not have set up as a phone key. I can see the car, current SOC and location, but do not have any controls functionality.

In terms of iPad support, my iPad is showing the same iOS version of the app as my phones. All three have been updated within the past few days.

I honestly do not recall if I just disabled it in the app or removed the iPad as phone key in the car under Controls > Locks. It’s possible that is the key difference between our experience but I’m away from my car on business trip at the moment so not able to check to confirm this.

I did also check my work iPhone which I also have the Tesla app installed, but have never set it up as a phone key. It also does not show capability for any controls, although I can see the car, current SOC, location, etc. I’m also running Tesla app iOS version 4.33.0 on both my phones and my iPad, but it’s only my personal phone which I have current paired as phone key where I see the Controls capability.
I believe removing the phone key under Controls > Locks is the issue, so when you’re back from your trip, set up the phone key again and disable it from the app as I did. Doesn’t matter whether it’s an iPhone, iPad, or some other mobile device.

I totally get the WiFi troubleshooting part of this equation. However, I was able to talk to a neighbor on the ground and they were able to unplug my car from the wall and now my car shows it’s not plugged in. If I didn’t have any type of connectivity, how would my app now know the car is now unplugged? Also strange my range is slowly dying as if sentry mode was on. (Covered outdoor parking garage so likely not cabin overheat protection)

I’m not discounting WiFi being a contributing factor (or maybe still the only!) just trying to troubleshoot from afar. I have a somewhat more tech savvy person in the area in the next day or so. I will try and send them access to my car via the app/sharing.
Talk to your neighbor about wifi as long as you're talking.

The car uses 3 methods of wireless communication. Bluetooth is used to a phone for things like unlocking the car when you are close. Wifi is used when available for data transfer, especially large downloads (car software) or perhaps uploads (FSD disengagements). And 3g/4g cellular communications are used when the has no wifi, especially when it is on the move. Nav maps and traffic conditions, plus some of the entertainment options use cellular, though I assume some will default to wifi when available.

Bottom line, your car should/could be communicating over cellular even if wifi is down, and your phone should be able to connect to it that way.

IMG_1029.jpeg

Let’s just say this went very differently than I anticipated…

Attachments

• IMG_8227.jpeg
    IMG_8227.jpeg
    746.2 KB · Views: 4
Ouch! Hope everything works out ok.

Regarding the dialogue that @EVRider-FL and I were having over presence or absence of controls in the app, this does get to has phone key been turned off in the app on the device or removed as a key from Controls screen in the car.

I set my iPad back up as a phone key after returning home and having access to my car. I then on my iPad went into Security & Drivers on the app and turned off Phone Key automatically unlocking or staring the car when the device is near. Doing this, I still have Controls in the Tesla app on my iPad but my iPad will not work as a key to unlock or drive the car. It's not unlocking my car that I was really after so I leave my backpack with my iPad in the car/trunk and not have my iPad keeping the car unlocked.