Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port - Auto open/release cable after charge complete, and key holder phone is in the vicinity.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After charging overnight in the garage I'd just like to come to the car in the morning and remove the cable and set off .. Instead I have to get the phone out open the app .. wait .. and then press the button to release the charge cable.. why isn't it open when I come to the car with my phone in my pocket, like the car is automatically open ? .. only open charge port if the car's reached it's charge limit since being plugged in .. that'd be fine..

Upvote 0
That’s usually how it works for me. Are you closing the app or not allowing it to run in the background?

Sometimes I have it refuse to unlock until I take my phone out and manually re-open the app (it should always be running in the background, but maybe sometimes it gets deprioritized for other phone apps requiring more CPU/memory/etc, but this is like a 1 in 10 or 20 occurrence for me).

Quicker and more reliable: Open a door to wake the car, then press the charge plug button to release the plug.

Or: Press and release the charge plug button, with a couple seconds for the car to wake up, then press the button to release the charge plug.

Set the car to precondition before you leave. 1) it’s more efficient because it will cool or warm the cabin from the house power and 2) the car will be awake so you can remove the cable without waiting.

But if you don’t want to precondition for whatever reason, pressing the button on the charger handle should wake up the car and then you can release it. Or open a door as mentioned above. No need to take out the phone and open the app.

That’s usually how it works for me. Are you closing the app or not allowing it to run in the background?

Sometimes I have it refuse to unlock until I take my phone out and manually re-open the app (it should always be running in the background, but maybe sometimes it gets deprioritized for other phone apps requiring more CPU/memory/etc, but this is like a 1 in 10 or 20 occurrence for me).
no the phone app is not closed .. I can open the car door without going into the app , so why can't i remove the charge cable? I have to physically tell it in the app, or in the car, to unlock .

Quicker and more reliable: Open a door to wake the car, then press the charge plug button to release the plug.

Or: Press and release the charge plug button, with a couple seconds for the car to wake up, then press the button to release the charge plug.
hmm . the charge cable I have doesn't have a button on it .. it's not a Tesla charger if that makes the difference ,, it's a Zappi.

Set the car to precondition before you leave. 1) it’s more efficient because it will cool or warm the cabin from the house power and 2) the car will be awake so you can remove the cable without waiting.

But if you don’t want to precondition for whatever reason, pressing the button on the charger handle should wake up the car and then you can release it. Or open a door as mentioned above. No need to take out the phone and open the app.
Thanks .. I'll look at pre-conditioning then.

the charge cable I have doesn't have a button on it .. it's not a Tesla charger if that makes the difference ,, it's a Zappi.
Does Zappi have a CCS connector? It's hard to find details on it. I've never used a CCS connector but it has a stop-charging button, yes?

A J1772 connector does -- it's the lever on top. Pressing and releasing it stops the session and that wakes the car over the next couple seconds. Then pressing it again will release the plug from the charge port.