Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge Port Door Sensor Fault

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone else experienced this error message? I have a 2017 Tesla S. The charge port door will close but when I get out and lock the car, the charge port door will open. I have no issues charging - just an annoying message in my driver dash (see attached image). It will also sometimes say “Charge Port Open” even though it’s closed. I have tried doing a reset but will be doing a hard reset later on this evening when I get back home.

I have read that this error sometimes happens when the weather is extremely cold or hot. Also happens to some people after a car wash but neither have happened here.

Just wanted to get anyone’s input before I call for mobile service and pay out of pocket since I am out of the 50k mile warranty. Thank you guys in advance.

Attachments

• D24D51AB-5604-4FFE-B31F-01DFE2FE7977.jpeg
    D24D51AB-5604-4FFE-B31F-01DFE2FE7977.jpeg
    248.5 KB · Views: 369
As I read in other posts, I put a piece of Scotch tape on the magnet of the charge port door.
Not 100% fixed, but I'm getting a lot less errors.
Worth a try at $0.01 for the tape.
If it is ever stuck shut, take a flexible credit card, and simply lift the door open. Very easy to do.

Your issue does sound like the assembly on the car side needs to be replaced.
If you can find the part, it looks fairly easy to remove. Be sure to disconnect the 12V and fireman's loop (high voltage) prior to any repair.

Brian