Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charge port latch not engaged

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since I last visited here. I guess our 2019 M3LR has been serving me well. Well, we just picked up our second Tesla in 24 MYP. Last evening when trying to connect the charging cable, we saw an alert saying “charge port latch not engaged”. There is nothing wrong with the cable as it has been used since our 2019 Model 3. Fortunately it charged fine overnight and have already scheduled for a mobile service. But I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and was there a solution without having to deal with mobile service? TIA.

But I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and was there a solution without having to deal with mobile service?
Well...yeah, everyone has experienced it at least once at one time or another. It just depends on what you're talking about:

1. You get the failure to latch message once or twice a year because you didn't happen to push it in far enough.
or
2. You really can't ever get it to latch.

If it's case 1, that's just a thing that happens. Remember to push hard. If it's case 2, then you do have a real issue, and you need to start checking if there is something stuck in the plug or the port obstructing it, if the latch is working, etc. etc.

Thank you for your feedback. According to your response, it seems like this is/was a common issue? I guess I was one of the fortunate ones during my last 5 years with the Model 3.. :)

Well I think I'm neither 1 nor 2. I tried pushing and pulling several times and was keep getting the same message. And again, it was charging the battery fine overnight.. You know, I really really wish it is just once or twice a year thing so that I can just move on an continue enjoying my new car experience..

It felt and sounded like something was trying to pull the plug into the port several times, but then it stopped and the light turned orange. I can't recall if it was solid or blinking but it was definitely orange.

I got a call from the mobile service and they said to take the charger/cable to the service center to first figure out where is the culprit of this issue...