Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charged my TM3 at home to 310 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks - what really isn't clear in all this is what happens for people who cannot charge at home and have to depend on supercharging only.
Tesla really needs to address the issue of battery degradation/harm for those people if they really want make it a mass accepted car. If I lived in a apt or condo and was told I'd ruin my battery by only supercharging or keeping it at a high SOC I'd probably stick with and ICE car :(

That is funny. I have a manual in paper form that was handed to me when I picked up my car. Would you like to see it? It has a coffee stain on it. Maybe my manual is an antique now, and I should sell it as such. It is updated in PDF online many times. Still can't see anything that says keeping at 100% is bad. Why do you continue with the charging to 100%? Because you can't find anything in writing from Tesla that says keeping at 100% is bad. Not one word. Please show me. Or ask Tesla to update the words in the manual to your liking.

It isn't in the manual because Tesla doesn't find it necessary. Why not a pop up on the screen in car that says. Stop leaving your stated charge at 100%. It doesn't exist. Why do you keep pedaling the same lines? The OP was talking about the car at 100%. Suggestion was to drain down via climate control or take for a spin. Some have exproplated this conversation into how to charge and what charge % to charge to.

Again my issue with this is disinformation. Saying Tesla said something that they didn't by putting youtube videos, and whitepapers to craft the narrative of the conversation to your liking. It really isn't the case.

Do you actually think that Tesla is going to publish negative information about their batteries?

They may have some of the best batteries in the business, but they are still subject to the same problems as other lithium ion batteries.

Sitting at a high SOC for long periods of time (and worse at high temperatures) is when the dendrites form on the anode.

You can look at the long thread "Sudden Loss Of Range With 2019.16.x Software" that show Tesla would rather cap charging in OTA software update with no notice and suffer the wrath of owners rather than state a problem or negative information about their batteries. And it is hard to blame them for this approach with at the FUD they receive on seemingly non-newsworthy items.

Reactions: darth_vad3r
Thanks - what really isn't clear in all this is what happens for people who cannot charge at home and have to depend on supercharging only.
Tesla really needs to address the issue of battery degradation/harm for those people if they really want make it a mass accepted car. If I lived in a apt or condo and was told I'd ruin my battery by only supercharging or keeping it at a high SOC I'd probably stick with and ICE car :(

Why would you have to keep it at high SoC (91-100%) if you are relying on supercharging?

90% is fine.

If you aren’t driving much, you might have to charge 2 extra times a year? Also why do you need 90% if you aren’t driving much?

If you are driving a lot, it won’t stay at high SoC since you’ll be driving it.

We should lobby apartments and cities and provinces/states to mandate equal access to home charging regardless of home type (apartments, condos, townhomes, etc) rather than trying to lobby a private company to build more urban chargers. You can do both of course, but IMO the former is more beneficial to the entire EV community, not just Teslas. It’s also cheaper to charge at home once you have home charging available.

I didn't say I WAS charging to 100% just pointed out that if I did it wasn't really 100.

The real issue is what is the optimal way to charge if you have to rely on sc? Keep it at about 50% most of the time except when you need more? Charge to 80 and don't recharge until you get really low, etc. Tesla could be more helpful than they are just saying "a charging Tesla is a happy Tesla"...............

I didn't say I WAS charging to 100% just pointed out that if I did it wasn't really 100.

The real issue is what is the optimal way to charge if you have to rely on sc? Keep it at about 50% most of the time except when you need more? Charge to 80 and don't recharge until you get really low, etc. Tesla could be more helpful than they are just saying "a charging Tesla is a happy Tesla"...............

I didn’t say you were either. In fact, I didn’t realize you were the same poster from 2 posts prior mentioning 100% on an SR being 92% in an SR+ :) ... I was just responding about a presumably hypothetical person who is going to rely solely on supercharging. Why should they charge to 100% real(ish) SoC (SR+ “100”) is my question? They can just charge to 90.

Charging more frequently is best. If you have to drive across town to use a SC, you won’t do that daily. It’s okay, just not “best” ... which is why true home charging (for apartments too) is what’s “best-iest”. Bestier? :)

My 2019 Model 3 LR AWD (bought in Aug 2019, now with 7600 miles) with an EPA range of 310 miles just received the 2020.12.5 software upgrade. After checking out the latest featured I checked the Energy/Distance on my car and I noticed that my Range distance is 10 miles less after the upgrade then before. I have 253 mile of range left (85%) and with my car being at 310 miles when I charged it to 100% back in Aug then at 85% I should be around 263 miles of range. I know over time I'll lose some range but in just 7+ months it down 10 miles then hopefully in another 7+ months it doesn't lose another 10 miles. That would not be a good trend. Has anyone else noticed that big of discrepancy with theirs or is mine the exception to the norm?