Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 M3P not charging to defined limit w/mobile connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last couple of times I charged my car at home (32a L2), using the mobile connector, everything seemed to work fine but the car never reached the % value I set.

For example, last night in my garage I had my car set to charge to 60% but when I went to go leave the house this morning, the battery was at 57%. The app only shows "unlock cable" as well indicating it finished charging, it doesn't give me the option to "start charging" unless I change the target % value in the app (or I unplug/replug the connector).

This is the second time it's happened to me and I'm not sure what to think. I do 95% of my charging at work (40a L2 ) and that charger will always give me a little more than what I set the percentage to (for example, if I'm in a meeting when charging finishes and cant get to my car for 45 mins, it will charge a percentage point or two above the set limit) and I'm pretty sure the mobile connector used to do the same, but perhaps I'm miss-remembering since I don't use it a whole lot.

Has this happened to anyone else? Or have any ideas of what to check? My breaker isn't popping and the cable/outlet, while sometimes slightly warm in the summer, never feels hot to the touch so I'm skeptical that it's a wiring issue. As far as I'm aware, the car hasn't thrown any errors at me so I'm sort of stumped.

There's nothing wrong. The battery was charged to 60% as you asked(and it probably told you that in the app!), then the battery charging stops. The car continues to consume power(from the battery) and when it reaches something like 3% below your setpoint it'll start charging again. Another possibility is that the battery temperature was changing and that lead to lower perceived charge percentage(although at least at higher percentages like 90%, that cooling tends to change the battery percentage to something higher(like 93%), and people get all uptight about uncommanded OVERcharging)