Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger - DNO approval

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AndyS3 I too am just finishing a new build, getting the electric supply was painful. But getting a charging point is worse!

Luckily I had my smart meter installed today, suspect I’ll be one of the last for awhile. Not having a home charger is no longer the top of anyone’s list. Good luck everyone..... ;)
My build has hit the buffer. No trades willing to come on site for 3 weeks.

I informed the electrical installation, i needed 63 Amp capacity to garage, to cope with airsource and probable EV charge point

I also was lucky to get 100A supply to the house. DNO specified 80A ;)

My installation has apparently been approved by my DNO, and I've only got a 60A main fuse. And I use a 9kW electric shower. Madness.
I had a standard 60amp. I requested DNO to inspect and install 100amp which they were able to.
Incoming cables were able to support 100amp
I have an all electric kitchen and two EV chargers. The chargers will limit if necessary.

DNO involvement is to do with their transmission and distribution network capacity. Details such as the electrical load on the 11 kV ring and transformers stepping down to three phases at domestic voltage. That supplies the circuit your house/ office/ supply is on. Further from the sub results in voltage drop also. The DNO need to know how many EV chargers are on each part of their network. Example 10 houses from same point of supply might cause excessive load on infrastructure. Balancing load across phases and need to be able to shed load in the future is all part of smart network.

I found UK Power Networks to be very efficient and friendly and super slick in upgrading cut out to 100amp from 60amp plus supply cable from overhead line to house changed out. All DNO’s have strict timeframes to follow under OFGEM rules.