Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charger Installation Recommendations - Etobicoke

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used Electrical Works Ltd. (416) 252-0561
They were the only one (of four companies) I called, who came out to do a site visit to give me an estimate (This way I knew that there would be no surprises with the final cost).
Wayne Lewis was very helpful in explaining the process. The installation was done by Stefan and he was fantastic.

I used Electrical Works Ltd. (416) 252-0561
They were the only one (of four companies) I called, who came out to do a site visit to give me an estimate (This way I knew that there would be no surprises with the final cost).
Wayne Lewis was very helpful in explaining the process. The installation was done by Stefan and he was fantastic.

I also used Electrical Works and they were terrific to work with. Strong recommend.

I couldn't find another thread, so I will ask here...is the 40 amp wall charger setup the standard everyone gets?
I thought it was recommended to get 60 if you can? One installer I was talking to stated 40.
a 60 amp circuit will yield you 48 amp max charging. A 40 amp circuit will get you max 32 amps.

I have a 60 amp circuit and that allows me to charge my Model 3 at 48 amps which is the max the car can handle from an AC charger.

• Informative
Reactions: MrShakeHands
a 60 amp circuit will yield you 48 amp max charging. A 40 amp circuit will get you max 32 amps.

I have a 60 amp circuit and that allows me to charge my Model 3 at 48 amps which is the max the car can handle from an AC charger.
Thanks. I am just wondering if the 40 is the preferred install. I want the 60. I suppose it depends on the panel load?? (I don't really know what I am talking about though) :confused: Is it easier for the installer to do 40? He hasn't done a site visit yet but he initially stated it would be 40. When I questioned it, he said we can discuss further later.

Last edited:
NEMA 14-50 with the mobile charger is enough to fill most driving needs at 40A (32A at 80% continuous load).

Unless you want to plan for the future and expect more EVs, the above is good for one car. If you're set on the HPWC; might as well go to 60A since you get 40A with the mobile charger and NEMA 14-50.

The difference in charge rate is minimal unless you really need a few more km's per hour. Currently my commute is ~105km total and for overnight charging I've set the car to charge 16A when I have 32A (7.8kw @ 240V) available because 24km/3.8kw = 6.31 km/kw used; most efficient mathematically where as 48km/7.8kw = 6.15km/kw. It's tiny but adds up over the life time of the car. (Anyone with more knowledge and experience want to chime in)?

As for the install, it's the about the same for labour. The material cost will be slightly more for 60A as the sizing of the copper conductor/breaker = larger = more $$.

NEMA 14-50 with the mobile charger is enough to fill most driving needs at 40A (32A at 80% continuous load).

Unless you want to plan for the future and expect more EVs, the above is good for one car. If you're set on the HPWC; might as well go to 60A since you get 40A with the mobile charger and NEMA 14-50.

The difference in charge rate is minimal unless you really need a few more km's per hour. Currently my commute is ~105km total and for overnight charging I've set the car to charge 16A when I have 32A (7.8kw @ 240V) available because 24km/3.8kw = 6.31 km/kw used; most efficient mathematically where as 48km/7.8kw = 6.15km/kw. It's tiny but adds up over the life time of the car. (Anyone with more knowledge and experience want to chime in)?

As for the install, it's the about the same for labour. The material cost will be slightly more for 60A as the sizing of the copper conductor/breaker = larger = more $$.
My expectation is to have a Tesla wall unit so maybe that is the confusion with the installer. I am meeting him tonight so that should clear it up. Thanks.

Thanks. I am just wondering if the 40 is the preferred install. I want the 60. I suppose it depends on the panel load?? (I don't really know what I am talking about though) :confused: Is it easier for the installer to do 40? He hasn't done a site visit yet but he initially stated it would be 40. When I questioned it, he said we can discuss further later.

If you're going with the Tesla wall connector then I'd say it's more worthwhile for you to pursue a 60 amp line. But again, this is completely dependent on your current panel capacity and load.

Reactions: PAWilson
If there's ever the possibility you'd have more than one Tesla, you might ask if they could do something above 60 amps, such as 80 or 100 amps. While a single car wouldn't benefit, it would help a future car charge faster if you added a second WC.

We currently have three Teslas and split 64 amps (on 80 amp breaker) between the three cars. If they are all charging at once, they get about 21 amps each. Two cars at once each get 32 amps. A single car gets up to 48 amps. We actually up-sized the wiring but are limited due to the Powerwalls. They mentioned we might be able to go up to 72 amps if we swap in a 90 amp breaker if the Powerwall limitation is removed.