Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging adapters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what adapters are needed for a long trip. Will any charging station work on a Tesla?
Well, short answer is, "no." Reading between the one line of your posting, I suspect you are a newbie to the EV road tripping world. Look, I just did a +2,900 mile run from Cape Cod to southern AZ. Every Supercharger site I went to worked just fine. You are overthinking your long trip.

Please share where the trip is leaving from and going to and I'll give you some specific guidance if I can.

Rich

Edit: I see you'll be starting from San Diego, so got that now (sis lives in El Cajon. Been to San Diego via Tesla from south of Tucson. Piece of cake.)

Last edited:
Well, short answer is, "no." Reading between the one line of your posting, I suspect you are a newbie to the EV road tripping world. Look, I just did a +2,900 mile run from Cape Cod to southern AZ. Every Supercharger site I went to worked just fine. You are overthinking your long trip.

Please share where the trip is leaving from and going to and I'll give you some specific guidance if I can.

Rich

Edit: I see you'll be starting from San Diego, so got that now (sis lives in El Cajon. Been to San Diego via Tesla from south of Tucson. Piece of cake.)
Thanks! Yes, a newbie. Have had my Model Y for a year. Installed my own home charger but am planning a trip to San Francisco area soon (yes, from San Diego)...

Thanks! Yes, a newbie. Have had my Model Y for a year. Installed my own home charger but am planning a trip to San Francisco area soon (yes, from San Diego)...
Then you won't need charging adapters unless you are staying at a camp or RV site that is far away from some kind of fast charger (Supercharger or DC chargers). Between San Diego and San Fransisco there are more than enough Superchargers. Use trip planner and follow it.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Uh, we gotta talk some... You will have NO problem making such a trip. CA is EV heaven in regard the charging infrastructure. Just remember to not bother to charge beyond 70% State of Charge (SoC) on trips, as it takes too long to go much beyond 70% SoC.

Here are the listed Tesla SC sites from SF to the south down to SD. You should download PlugShare.

Rich

Zq6TJ1C.jpg

MpYoy8X.jpg

GDZVL3K.jpg

p4pR7Vp.jpg

eW6B1yp.jpg

If you're coming up to NorCal from San Diego, you'll be mostly on I-5. There's a ton of chargers on that route. Tesla's trip planner shows that if you start from the San Diego cruise ship terminal, you would need 2 stops for charging. Not bad at all. Even if you drive 80 mph like most folks do on I-5, you likely won't need more than 3 stops.

Use this Tesla planner to check out your proposed route or use the Nav in your car

The only adapter you need is the J1772 one included with the car in the event you run into destination charging at a hotel, shopping mall or restaurant.

The only exception would be if you're planning to go camping and want to charge in an RV camping spot. If so, say so, and we'll cover that scenario.