Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging cables

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have any issues with their charging cables. I was thinking of buying a new one from a private owner for 200. Is it worth the gamble to save $30

I have seen a few threads with people who have issues with mobile chargers. Not a ton, by any means, but also not "zero". The thing is, I think (but am not 100% positive) that in order to get any sort of warranty support on that part if it becomes defective, you might need a receipt of some kind from purchasing it from tesla (or having your car come with the mobile connector if you bought your car when they were still included.

$30 savings isnt enough for me for possible issues there, but $30 here in southern california doesnt even cover pizza night for my wife and I, so all costs are relative.

Reactions: White Knight
Does anyone have any issues with their charging cables. I was thinking of buying a new one from a private owner for 200. Is it worth the gamble to save $30
Also for me, no, it's not worth it. Unless: 1) You absolutely need it right away and can't possibly wait for Tesla to ship one out to you, 2) You get some sort of guarantee from the seller that it won't go "fzzztt" after 2 or 3 month's usage, 3) The mobile connector includes the NEMA adapter you need (14-50 is best, but 5-15 can do if you have a lot of time and don't drive much).

No way is a used cable worth only a $30 discount. If it's actually brand new (they never used it) and you can access the warranty, I might go as high as a $50 discount, but otherwise no higher than a $100 discount in my book.

P.S. My general rule for used electronics is start at 50% of what it sells for new today, not originally, then add or subtract depnding on condition and availability. If it's like new or hard to find, then offer more, and if they are plentiful, or the condition is not great, offer less.

Last edited: