Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Connectivity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More information please. Vehicle model, year, etc. Are you using a Tesla home charger, mobile connector, 120v, 220v, 12a, 15a, etc. Have you tried a public charger such as a Chargepoint or potentially a free charger? I know there are several around the area of Virginia I am visiting.

Upvote 0
2017 Model X. I’m using the mobile connector from Tesla. 240v. I haven’t used Chargepoint specifically yet one station I used has the Tesla home charger, the other I tried my cable with.
IMG_1914.jpeg

Upvote 0
I suggest stepping though a couple of things:
  1. Is the outlet a 10-30, 14-30 or 14-50? If you do not know please post a photo.
  2. If the outlet is a Leviton, there is a good chance it is fried. You need one designed for continuous duty such as ones from Hubbell or Bryant, about $80.
  3. Use a voltmeter and check the voltage. If you a have 3-hole outlet you should get 220-240v between the hots and 120v from hot to ground. If you have four holes then 220-240v hot to hot, and 120v from each hot to neutral, and from each hot too ground. Neutral to ground should be 0v
  4. If the breaker is not a GFCI you need to replace it with one that is UNLESS the outlet was installed when the house was built. Even so, it is a good idea to replace it to bring it up to current code. About $150
  5. If all is well ensure you have the correct Tesla adapter. When you plug in the MC without plugging it into the car it should light up.

Upvote 0