Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging two Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have one model 3 and are thinking of ordering another. To my surprise it seems Tesla does not have any solutions for charging two Teslas simultaneously (this would be an incentive to buy two Teslas rather than from different brands). The only way is manually moving the cable from one to the other. I had hoped you could connect both to a charger at the same time, and then some software could manage the charging (first charge one, then other other when the first is charged etc). Are there any such solutions?

We also have a Tesla powerwall and use the 'charge on solar,' and we would like to continue using that, so if it were a third party solution it would have to work with 'charge on solar.'

Why do you think having two wall connectors does not work? First you said "simultaneously" which in my understanding means at the same time. Two wall connectors will do that. If you want to charge them sequentially, then something from features described below will likely do it. For example, you can put them in a power share configuration, and so no more than a set of amount power will be used. One car will charge first and then the other.

Wall Connector Power Management | Tesla Support

Why do you think having two wall connectors does not work? First you said "simultaneously" which in my understanding means at the same time. Two wall connectors will do that. If you want to charge them sequentially, then something from features described below will likely do it. For example, you can put them in a power share configuration, and so no more than a set of amount power will be used. One car will charge first and then the other.

OK, I see what you mean. I could get two wall connectors and then the group management could handle both. Can they both be connected to the same NEMA 14-50 outlet?

I asked this question in a Tesla store, but they said I would have to manually move the cable.

And the next question is: does group power management work with charge on solar?

And the next question is: does group power management work with charge on solar?
There is some type of answer from Tesla:

"Can I use Charge on Solar for multiple vehicles at the same site?
Yes. If you charge more than one Tesla vehicle at a time using Charge on Solar, the first vehicle to plug in will receive all the excess solar energy until it reaches the charge limit you’ve set. Once that limit is reached, the excess solar energy will be sent to the second vehicle."

But that does not explicitly say it works with group power management.

OK, I see what you mean. I could get two wall connectors and then the group management could handle both. Can they both be connected to the same NEMA 14-50 outlet?

I asked this question in a Tesla store, but they said I would have to manually move the cable.
First of all the wall connector does not use a 14-50 connector. It’s supposed to be hardwired directly.

And no, they cannot share the same circuit. They both need their own independent circuit and breaker.

First of all the wall connector does not use a 14-50 connector. It’s supposed to be hardwired directly.

And no, they cannot share the same circuit. They both need their own independent circuit and breaker.
Not according to the link arnolddeleon posted:

"This functionality is ideal for households that need to charge more than one electric vehicle at the same time but may not have enough power for multiple electrical circuits. Installing a single circuit to power multiple Wall Connectors may be the most cost-effective installation, especially when the distance between your parking location and electrical panel is significant."

I interpret this as multiple wall connecters can share a single circuit breaker (in our case a 50A circuit breaker).

Not according to the link arnolddeleon posted:

"This functionality is ideal for households that need to charge more than one electric vehicle at the same time but may not have enough power for multiple electrical circuits. Installing a single circuit to power multiple Wall Connectors may be the most cost-effective installation, especially when the distance between your parking location and electrical panel is significant."

I interpret this as multiple wall connecters can share a single circuit breaker (in our case a 50A circuit breaker).
Yeah, but probably because of electrical code reasons, Wall Connectors now require their own circuit breaker. BUT you can still load share between them so that your panel won't get overloaded.

So do you use a Wall Connector or a Mobile Connector on your 14-50? And if Wall Connector, what version? Because V3 Wall Connectors can only load share with other V3 Wall Connectors.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have two wall connectors on a single 60 amp circuit that is to code. One wall connector is the main & the other is the secondary controlled by the main. It can charge both simultaneously @ 24 amps each or what i do is schedule one then the other at 48 amps.
1000004005.jpg

Reactions: MarkoP
Yeah, but probably because of electrical code reasons, Wall Connectors now require their own circuit breaker. BUT you can still load share between them so that your panel won't get overloaded.

So do you use a Wall Connector or a Mobile Connector on your 14-50? And if Wall Connector, what version? Because V3 Wall Connectors can only load share with other V3 Wall Connectors.
I use the mobile connector. The NEMA 14-50 is on its own 50A circuit breaker.

So, I could buy two wall connectors and connect them to the NEMA 14-50 (or hardwire them to the cable going to the outlet, I guess). But you are saying each needs its own circuit breaker? So it's not possible "Installing a single circuit to power multiple Wall Connectors may be the most cost-effective installation" as Tesla says? Requiring an extra circuit breaker and cable would certainly increase installation cost.

I have two wall connectors on a single 60 amp circuit that is to code. One wall connector is the main & the other is the secondary controlled by the main. It can charge both simultaneously @ 24 amps each or what i do is schedule one then the other at 48 amps.
Yes, this is what I would like to do. But I would want to make sure it also works with "charge on solar."

So, I could use the single wire to the 14-50 outlet and connect two wall connectors to that wire?
You keep saying "14-50 outlet" and as I said, you REMOVE the 14-50 outlet and connect two wall connectors to the wires using polaris connectors or equivalent.

So, the answer to your "single wire to the 14-50 outlet and connect two wall connectors to that wire, is "No, the 14-50 outlet is nowhere in the equation for a setup of 2 wall connectors."

You keep saying "14-50 outlet" and as I said, you REMOVE the 14-50 outlet and connect two wall connectors to the wires using polaris connectors or equivalent.

So, the answer to your "single wire to the 14-50 outlet and connect two wall connectors to that wire, is "No, the 14-50 outlet is nowhere in the equation for a setup of 2 wall connectors."
That’s what I meant. I was talking about the wire to the 14-50 outlet, not the outlet itself. It’s clear to me that has to go. My question is: I can connect the two wall chargers to a single cable?

We have 3 EVs (2017 S, 2018 3, 2016 Leaf - leaf purchased in 2019). We do just fine with a single Wall connector. Each car drives ~50 miles per day and we plug a different one in each night.

I seriously considered getting another wall connector and doing the power sharing on our WC2 but as of yet we haven't really needed it. I even bought the WC and it's still in a box for the past 4 years.

How many miles do you drive?