Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Naples Fl and Ocala Fl $.30/kWh

Tifton, Ga and Atlanta, Ga. two charging rates in one session.
$.12/ minute Low
$.24/ minute high

Anyone analyzed the cost per kWh in the per minute rates vs the per kWh billing summary?

Naples Fl and Ocala Fl $.30/kWh

Tifton, Ga and Atlanta, Ga. two charging rates in one session.
$.12/ minute Low
$.24/ minute high

Anyone analyzed the cost per kWh in the per minute rates vs the per kWh billing summary?

I would prefer the cost per kWh over per minute since you know how much to fill whole pack while per minute you don't.
It's a bit difficult to compare these 2 costs. Per minute depends on charging rates, efficiency.
If you are charging at lowest rate of upper tier, you loosing money comparing to charging at highest rate of lower tier.

The rate of charging is not linear so it is not easier to make a direct conversion between time and cost.

Basically if you added 24 kWh in your battery, it would cost you $7.20 (at $0.30 / kWh), and

- if the average charging speed is 24 kWh it will you take you 60 minutes and you will have spent $7.20 (for a $0.12 connection rate by minute), or
- if the average charging speed is 48 kWh it will you take you 30 minutes and you will have spent $7.20 (for a $0.24 rconnection ate by minute).

So if the average rate of charging is faster that 24 kWh (for low rate) or 48 kWh (for high rate) your are a winner !!!

An other way to look at is to use an hypothetical charging rate:

- For 6 minutes, if the charging rate is 100 kWh, this will add 10 kWh and it would cost you $3.00 (at $.30 / kWh) or $0.72 (at $.12 / mn) or $1.44 (at $.24 / mn)
- For next 6 mn, if the charging rate is _75 kWh, this will add 7.5 kWh and it would cost you $2.25 (at $.30 / kwh) or $0.72 (at $.12 / mn) or $1.44 (at $.24 / mn)

So after 12 mn, this will add 17.5 kWh and it would cost you $5.25 (at $.30 / kWh) or $1.44 (at $.12 / mn) or $2.88 (at $.24 / mn)

- For next 6 mn, if the charging rate is 50 kWh, this will add 5 kWh and it would cost you $1.50 (at $.30 / kwh) or $0.72 (at $.12 / mn) or $1.44 (at $.24 / mn)

So after 18 mn, this will add 22.5 kWh (avareage speed 75 kWh) and it would cost you $6.75 (at $.30 / kWh) or $2.16 (at $.12 / mn) or $4.32 (at $.24 / mn)

Note: I might be wrong in my quick calculation, correct me if needed...

Last edited:
At 60kW (the cap for tier 1), you’ll get 1kWh in 1 minute. Using the listed prices in the OP, you’d pay 30¢ for that energy paying by unit, or 12¢ paying by time. If the charge rate increased very slightly to put you in the higher tier, that same 1kWh would cost you 30¢ by unit, or some fraction less than 24¢ by time.

As charging speed increases, paying by time seems to become even more of a bargain. At a 250kW supercharger (and assuming for this example that you’re getting full speed), a minute of charging would net you 4.16kWh. That would cost $1.25 by unit, or still 24¢ by time. I don’t know if there are even any V3 superchargers in pay-by-time areas, or whether the prices are raised accordingly, though.

Good analysis. I've basically always found Tesla's per minute pricing to be lower than the per kwh rate. Sometimes it is even less expensive than home charging.

As two examples, I recently went from 29% to 90% in Brunswick with an average charge rate of 87 kw. It cost $6.24 for ~45kwh.

I had a similar charge in FL that was a per kwh of 13 to 92%, 57kwh. It was $17.40.

Having said that, I get the feeling that per minute rates are becoming less common. I think South Carolina recently switched to $/kwh.

As charging speed increases, paying by time seems to become even more of a bargain. At a 250kW supercharger (and assuming for this example that you’re getting full speed), a minute of charging would net you 4.16kWh. That would cost $1.25 by unit, or still 24¢ by time. I don’t know if there are even any V3 superchargers in pay-by-time areas, or whether the prices are raised accordingly, though.
There definitely have been some. The ones in South Carolina used to be a bargain, and the Brunswick, GA example was a per minute V3 as well.

I get the feeling that these will become more rare, though. I think Tesla is actively working on getting to $/kwh.

Reactions: Darblish