Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging etiquette

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure that there are previous posts in this topic, but have not been able to locate them.

I’m currently charging at my local Supercharging station and although every spot is occupied, my app showed 5 of 12 available.

I got out to look and there were 5 Tesla’s parked and no charger plugged in. Also... there were plenty of regular parking spots available, where they could have parked.

Some of the stations have signs that read “Tesla- 30 minute General parking.”

50 minutes later, the Tesla’s were still there and not on charge, while I observed several other owners, looking for a charging station to open up.

Is it me, or is this a breach of etiquette?

And if so, what if anything can be done to police it, other than a note or a verbal confrontation.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Definitely an etiquette breach. Not much can be done to police it unless the property owner has put up towing signs and is willing to tow.

I don’t know that I would do this, but the earlier Model s cars will open the charge port even while locked to the supercharger handle button. Someone could plug them in, which would probably get the owners attention in the app. Maybe they just forgot and you could be helping a fellow EV driver ;)

8D55040E-E5A4-47AC-A091-E45644BC8133.jpeg
Definitely an etiquette breach. Not much can be done to police it unless the property owner has put up towing signs and is willing to tow.

I don’t know that I would do this, but the earlier Model s cars will open the charge port even while locked to the supercharger handle button. Someone could plug them in, which would probably get the owners attention in the app. Maybe they just forgot and you could be helping a fellow EV driver ;)

Ahh. Thanks for the insight.

Meanwhile... a Subaru Forrester just parked in a Tesla charging spot, but since the sign reads 30 minute general parking, that TOO isn’t enforceable?

View attachment 373940

Ahh. Thanks for the insight.

Meanwhile... a Subaru Forrester just parked in a Tesla charging spot, but since the sign reads 30 minute general parking, that TOO isn’t enforceable?

Yeah, the 30 minute parking sign means it is open for anyone within those time limits. Many supercharger properties do this due to local regulations about number of parking spaces, etc. If the property owner didn’t want to reduce their count of parking spaces, they use the 30 minute option on the supercharger spaces.

If people parking for longer than 30 minutes is common for those spots, you could complain to the property owner to have them enforce the time limits.

Depending on the sign, the intent may be that Teslas should only park and charge for 30 minutes.

Etiquette is generally created when your actions impact others. (although elbow on table is stupid) This is a great case where some owners feel that they have reserved parking, where the intent should be only active charging vehicles.

There are numerous chargers installed where desirable parking is, that's a mistake in my opinion. Charging spots are best located where you don't have others wanting the spots.

• Funny
Reactions: Dre78
It is potentially enforceable, depending on local towing laws/regulations and land-owner willingness, but the Subaru driver hadn't done anything that required or allowed "enforcement" until they would have stayed over the 30 minute time limit. Parking a car without charging, EV or ICEV, in a stall signed for time-limited general parking is acceptable so long as they stay below the limit. If there are other available parking options that wouldn't inconvenience the parker, IMO it is inconsiderate to park there but still remains permissible (again subject to signage and time limits).

I’m sure that there are previous posts in this topic, but have not been able to locate them.

I’m currently charging at my local Supercharging station and although every spot is occupied, my app showed 5 of 12 available.

I got out to look and there were 5 Tesla’s parked and no charger plugged in. Also... there were plenty of regular parking spots available, where they could have parked.

50 minutes later, the Tesla’s were still there and not on charge, while I observed several other owners, looking for a charging station to open up.

And if so, what if anything can be done to police it, other than a note or a verbal confrontation.
Post their license. What that are doing is wrong.

Reactions: Surfergreene

Maybe they just forgot to plug in. You could be a good citizen and help them out! Now, they may end up getting a large idle fee later on, but at least you were trying to be a good Samaritan!