Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging EV during day time with solar + pw+? (PG&E)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my system installed two weeks ago… as I understand it, once the system passed inspection is given PTO, energy can be exported to the grid.

My understanding is that whenever we pull energy from the grid we will need to pay non by passable charges (PG&E) for every kilowatt, so doesn’t it make sense to charge my car during the daytime instead of overnight so I don’t pay NBCs? I only have one powerwall, so it’ll deplete itself trying to charge the car overnight.

Yes, if you have a new solar system, PG&E billing will include a NBC of $0.02-$0.03/kWh. If you have surplus solar during the day, you can use that to charge your car without paying NBCs. However, after you have had your solar + Powerwall system for a few days you will see the Time Based Control option and you can set up the Peak and Off-Peak hours. In that mode, the Powerwall should not discharge during Off-Peak hours if you choose to charge your car overnight.

Yes, if you have a new solar system, PG&E billing will include a NBC of $0.02-$0.03/kWh. If you have surplus solar during the day, you can use that to charge your car without paying NBCs. However, after you have had your solar + Powerwall system for a few days you will see the Time Based Control option and you can set up the Peak and Off-Peak hours. In that mode, the Powerwall should not discharge during Off-Peak hours if you choose to charge your car overnight.

For current Solar customers, it's a flat rate every month. For new customers it is really per kWh you consume from the grid instead of the flat rate every month?

Note: I'm on EV-A / NEM 2 with 10 panels and 3 power walls. I'm currently working with Tesla to add an additional 10 panels (no Powerwall), so I need to make sure that I continue to be on EV-A/NEM2 not moved to EV2-A. NEM3 hasn't yet started, right?

For current Solar customers, it's a flat rate every month. For new customers it is really per kWh you consume from the grid instead of the flat rate every month?

Note: I'm on EV-A / NEM 2 with 10 panels and 3 power walls. I'm currently working with Tesla to add an additional 10 panels (no Powerwall), so I need to make sure that I continue to be on EV-A/NEM2 not moved to EV2-A. NEM3 hasn't yet started, right?
wow, how did you get installed just 10 panels and 3 pws? How would one ever change the pws? I heard like 5 to 7 kw of panels per pw are the rule of thumb?

Yes, Non-Bypassable Charges have always been per kWh. If you're on NEM 2, you should see them on your bill. I am on NEM 1, so I don't know the specifics. The flat rate that goes on your Blue Bill is just the Minimum Charges that you pay outside the annual true-up. If you have positive energy charges on your true-up each month, then the Minimum Charges already paid will be deducted. Any month that has a net credit for energy charges will not deduct anything for the Minimums.

You ongoing eligibility for EV-A depends on your original NEM 2 PTO date. Adding solar should not automatically move you to EV2-A unless the paperwork submitted by the solar installer elects that change. You should definitely check any PG&E paperwork that they ask you to sign for that kind of mistake.

NEM 3 has not been formulated yet. My understanding is that it may go through the approval process in 2022.

Reactions: zanary and Ampster
wow, how did you get installed just 10 panels and 3 pws? How would one ever change the pws? I heard like 5 to 7 kw of panels per pw are the rule of thumb?
I was an early adopter for the Powerwall through the first ever instance of SGIP, so I went with Quantity 2 power walls back then without solar to speed up the install. It was an amazing deal as it was one of the first in my city, but the process was a nightmare to get... becuase I was one of the first. I documented it here: Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

I then installed 10 Panels at 325 watts (as that's all that was allowed by PG&E becuase my consumption was high enough to warrant more panels).

I then received my 3rd Powerwall as part of the referal program (it's a red one).

So now that bring me to today. My consumption is much higher with a Model S and Model X, and working from home, so I can now get a 2nd system connected to the three Powerwall.

I'm still on EV-A (grandfathered) and on NEM 2.0 with a monthly bypass charge only regardless of how much I consume from the Grid each month.

I was an early adopter for the Powerwall through the first ever instance of SGIP, so I went with Quantity 2 power walls back then without solar to speed up the install. It was an amazing deal as it was one of the first in my city, but the process was a nightmare to get... becuase I was one of the first. I documented it here: Powerwall 2 "waiting list"

I then installed 10 Panels at 325 watts (as that's all that was allowed by PG&E becuase my consumption was high enough to warrant more panels).

I then received my 3rd Powerwall as part of the referal program (it's a red one).

So now that bring me to today. My consumption is much higher with a Model S and Model X, and working from home, so I can now get a 2nd system connected to the three Powerwall.

I'm still on EV-A (grandfathered) and on NEM 2.0 with a monthly bypass charge only regardless of how much I consume from the Grid each month.
Wow, what a process. I am so glad I seem to be done with the solar and battery part. I still want to add 3 ev charging stations but have not found a person yet for the project.