Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging habit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hi everyone! I am a new model Y owner ! I use the car for Uber ! I would like to know if my charging habit is safe for the battery !
I charge overnight to 100% , I driver for around 7-8 hours for Uber then need to charge 5 minutes daily just to get home and charge overnight again for the next day !
Is this a recommended charging habit? Is it ok to charge to 100% if I am going to use all the energy and recharge? Thank you

Hi everyone! I bought my Tesla model y AWD 2023 June 7 , I noticed I had rattling noises, I investigated and found the rear passenger window glass is very loose and shaky! I took it to Tesla they tied the bolts but it’s the same thing! Has anyone had the same issue? And how they completely fixed it ! Thank you

Upvote 0
hi everyone! I am a new model Y owner ! I use the car for Uber ! I would like to know if my charging habit is safe for the battery !
I charge overnight to 100% , I driver for around 7-8 hours for Uber then need to charge 5 minutes daily just to get home and charge overnight again for the next day !
Is this a recommended charging habit? Is it ok to charge to 100% if I am going to use all the energy and recharge? Thank you
It appears you don't have an alternative except more frequent, extended Supercharging. In addition to the cost per kWh of using the Supercharger station, Level 2 charging at home is less expensive than Supercharging and is less stressful to the battery over time.

Upvote 0

Assuming you leave at a predictable time everyday, I'd use the off-peak charging feature to time the charging to end close to the time you leave so that it spends as little time as possible at 100%. You might also consider only charging to 90-95% if the only consequence would be charging for an extra few minutes in order to get home.

Upvote 0
I would definitely not want to exceed 90% charge on a daily basis, I personally would go lower (80-85%) even with an extra minute or 2 of supercharging. This assume you have the long range version.

The greater you discharge the battery, the harder it is on it. I would be more inclined to hit a supercharger for about 5 minutes when at 40-50% rathe and then again rather than letting it get all the way down where it is below 20%.

As others mentioned, put it on the charger so that it finishes just before you start driving for the day. You need to come down from those high states of charge as soon as you reasonably can. You want your average state of charge to be as close to about 55% as you can for maximum battery longevity. Two things you need to manage are calendar aging and cycle aging.

A lot of info here on this for lithium ion batteries (the ones in the long range and performance model). Looks for posts by AAKEE. There has been very robust discussion on this topic. If you have LFP batteries, it can tolerate being at 100% more often.

Upvote 0
100% charging is something that should be rare, like for road trips. For best battery loggevity, charge at home to 80%, and then interrupt your day around mid-day to charge enought to get you through the day. A 20% to 50% charge mid day would be very fast at a super charger. You could charge to 90%, but that is more stressful on the battery. Not a good habit for daily charging.

Upvote 0
100% charging is something that should be rare, like for road trips. For best battery loggevity, charge at home to 80%, and then interrupt your day around mid-day to charge enought to get you through the day. A 20% to 50% charge mid day would be very fast at a super charger. You could charge to 90%, but that is more stressful on the battery. Not a good habit for daily charging.
Why would you need to charge, mid day, if you (like most drivers) commute, drive ~30 miles per day? On a road trip, sure, use the Supercharger network. Supercharging in general costs twice as much per kWh as charging at home.

Upvote 0