Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in Bad Weather

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first summer with a Tesla Model S. Of course, I am totally obsessed with this car. It is da Bomb!!! Here is my question: My Tesla lives on my driveway. I have my charger installed outside my house. Is it safe to charge my Tesla during a thunder and lightning storm?

Rain is not a problem.

Anecdotally - I was charging my car once during a pretty crazy thunderstorm. We had a lightning strike very close to the house that caused a power surge and outage. Right after that happened, my car's cooling fans started spinning at a thousand miles an hour and didn't quit until I disconnected the charger and rebooted the MCU.

Nothing seems to have been damaged, this was tens of thousands of miles ago, but since that happened I generally go unplug the car from shore power if there's a thunderstorm in the area.

• Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Rain is not a problem.

Anecdotally - I was charging my car once during a pretty crazy thunderstorm. We had a lightning strike very close to the house that caused a power surge and outage. Right after that happened, my car's cooling fans started spinning at a thousand miles an hour and didn't quit until I disconnected the charger and rebooted the MCU.

Nothing seems to have been damaged, this was tens of thousands of miles ago, but since that happened I generally go unplug the car from shore power if there's a thunderstorm in the area.

I usually flip the breaker to protect the charger too. But that may not be enough in a direct lightning strike.

• Helpful
Reactions: ucmndd