Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in the Rain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Living in the Weatherly Bi-Polar New England, something that has always truck my mind when planning for my Tesla order is charging in the rain. I currently down have a garage as I live in a duplex. I wanted to see what some of you guys do for charging outdoors? Is the Mobile Connector water proof? The Wall connector? Also, does anyone use solar specifically to charge their Tesla?

Thanks! :)

The mobile connector and wall connector are both rated for wet use (NEMA 3R enclosures).

There are several threads detailing various solar PV systems used to charge our cars. I have an 18 kW system up on the roof that offsets about half my electricity usage.

We have a vacation house on the coast and have been charging our cars there for several years There's no garage and the plug is just in the front of the house, unprotected from the elements. It rains a lot (for California) and there's a lot of moisture in the air most of the time, from fog and the ocean. Never had a problem.

There is this in the Mobile Connector User Guide

Do not use the Mobile Connector when either you, the vehicle or the Mobile Connector is exposed to severe rain, snow, electrical storm or other inclement weather.When transporting the Mobile Connector, handle with care and do not subject it to strong force or impact or pull, twist, tangle, drag or step on the Mobile Connector to protect from damage toit or any components.Protect the Mobile Connector from moisture, water and foreign objects at all times. If any exist or appear to have damaged or corroded the Mobile Connector, do not use the Mobile Connector.Do not touch the Mobile Connector’s end terminals with sharp metallic objects, such as wire, tools or needles.If rain falls during charging, do not allow rainwater to run along the length of cable and wet the electrical outlet or charging port.If the electrical outlet is submerged in water or covered in snow, do not insert the Mobile Connector’s plug. If, in this situation, the Mobile Connector’s plug is already plugged in and needs tobe unplugged, first turn off the breaker and then unplug the Mobile Connector’s plug.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_mobile_connector_guide.pdf

So I guess that means that when the rain lasts for hours or days non stop, you're out of luck if you don't have a garage? This is something I will have to overcome before I get my Tesla.

We don't have a garage - only single parking space. We installed our outlet in a weatherproof, lockable box on the outside of our shed, which is the upper boundary of our spot. Living in NE in a very tight neighborhood, there is no place to put snow when it dumps - it ends up in a mountain at the head of our parking spot. So for this reason we mounted the box about 4.5 feet high. It's worked out great so far. Can post pics if anyone needs.

But to answer you question - not an issue. Superchargers are in the rain. ;)

Last edited:
We don't have a garage - only single parking space. We installed our outlet in a weatherproof, lockable box on the outside of our shed, which is the upper boundary of our spot. Living in NE in a very tight neighborhood, there is no place to put snow when it dumps - it ends up in a mountain at the head of our parking spot. So for this reason we mounted the box about 4.5 feet high. It's worked out great so far. Can post pics if anyone needs.

But to answer you question - not an issue. Superchargers are in the rain. ;)

As someone also in New England and planning to install a charger outdoors soon (I hope), I would be very interested in seeing some photos of your charger installation. Thanks in advance!

Hey David - This is our setup. (Sorry about the fresh clam shells waiting to be crushed. Dinner last week. ;) ) For us, mounting on the shed made the most sense since we wanted it to be high up because of snow, and mounting on house would have meant stepping over the cord whenever we were charging to go inside. Plus this was the neatest way to wire it and not have it look like crap.
IMG_0099.JPG

Husband dug a trench through the driveway and ran the wire from the house to the inside of the shed. Then mounted box/fed wire. The box is an outdoor electrical box - he had to order online. Can get details if you need.
IMG_0100.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

Then installed outlet (on right side since I'm a lefty.) He cut a trench for the cord to go into and lined the trench with that black stuff (sorry for the technical explanation. ha) to protect the cord. I don't know what it is (I could ask) but he got the idea from a friend who restores antique cars and had it in his shop for that purpose. It is soft, a little spongey, and pliable so was easy to install.
IMG_0102.JPG

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: Trevlan006
Thanks, Jerry. Just did some searching and I see some people use various types of brackets - is this mainly for aesthetics? Or is there concern damage could be done without support? It certainly feels sturdy enough but maybe there have been issues?