Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging in or near Rockville Centre NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm visiting the in-laws for the week and was sort of surprised with the lack of charging options in this area. I called the Enterprise Car Rental on Merrick, but the rep told me theirs were broken (I wonder if it's user error, but she told me that they were unavailable so I didn't bother). The majority of options seem to be Nissan dealers, which I've never tried. Seems odd to show up to them with a different type of car than a Leaf. I resorted to the Tesla store @ Roosevelt field, but that's pretty inconvenient to where I'm staying. Anybody have any recommendations other than those I described? Even better, are there any owners in the area w/ a 14-50 outlet I could borrow for a few hours to top off a couple of times this week (specifically Friday night, 8/9)?

Did you check plugshare? I see a Tesla owner "Jeff" listed just east of Rockville Centre. Do your relatives have an outlet you can plug into? Even a 110 can get you 3-4 miles of range per hour of charge which over the course of a week is all you need unless you take a lot of side trips. Even better if they have an electric dryer or range within striking distance of the parking area.

Did you check plugshare? I see a Tesla owner "Jeff" listed just east of Rockville Centre. Do your relatives have an outlet you can plug into? Even a 110 can get you 3-4 miles of range per hour of charge which over the course of a week is all you need unless you take a lot of side trips. Even better if they have an electric dryer or range within striking distance of the parking area.

Thanks DFib! I'm still getting used to the variety of apps out there for tracking such things down. Since Recargo owns plugshare, I sort of thought the chargers listed would be merged in their one app. Now I have recargo, plugshare, blink, and chargepoint apps to help track things down. I've been doing the 110 here, but will need a near-max charge to get back to the Delaware supercharger before coming back to VA later this week so I might reach out to "Jeff."

I am getting scared ! Just put down payment on car, but I can't understand why there aren't more , I am in long island and want to go to the Fla keys

Don't be scared there are more and more places to charge everyday and besides 99% of your charging will be done at home. As far as traveling to The Keys, you should be able to accomplish this completely via Superchargers by the end of the year! Supercharger | Tesla Motors

I am getting scared ! Just put down payment on car, but I can't understand why there aren't more , I am in long island and want to go to the Fla keys

I agree with Enadler - I look at the effort of finding charging stations as a temporary inconvenience until the bigger network gets built out. There are more stations coming online every day. I was in Orlando last week and every Walgreens and BW3's (sports bar if you don't have them) had free chargers in their parking lots. More and more hotels are also starting to put them in place. If you start to think about where you spend time during your day and can add 30-60 miles here and there while you eat/do errands/etc., then you will continuously charge your battery for when you need to make longer runs. For whatever reason, it seems that NY has fewer right now - or at least they're harder to find. For local trips, I haven't had ANY trouble. It's just the longer road trips that you have to plan a little more for. I've put 1,500+ miles on mine since 7/24 and definitely don't regret anything.

In case you were curious, I did reach out to Jeff that I found using plugshare after DFib's suggestion. Jeff was an awesome and generous host and let me charge at his house overnight. Yeah, it was a little bit of a pain to leave the car there for a few hours, but it all worked out fine and I got to meet another owner who was glad to share stories and "help the EV cause."