Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2016 Model X with 72 Amp charger. I recently stopped at a hotel that had a NEMA 14-50 plug available to charging. I have a Generation One Tesla Mobile Connector and a Generation One NEMA 14-50 adapter.
What charge current should I have set on the charging screen in the car?

Attachments

• chargea.jpg
    chargea.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 125
  • chargeb.jpg
    chargeb.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 79
the mobile connector will set its limit which i think is 40a and also 80% of 50A breaker (assuming thats what that circuit has)
gen 2 will only do 32amps
to get full potential of 72amps on board u need to find Gen2 WC (what i have at home :) )

Edit: but be warned...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
*Should* is subjective, but in the interest of NOT melting anything, I believe the best answer to your question is that you should set the charge limit to 32A when you are connected to a 14-50 or 6-50 outlet where you cannot verify or confirm that the wiring is rated for 50 amps and connected to a 50 amp breaker. The reason for this is that there is no such thing as a 40 amp outlet, so some electrical codes have (and may still) allowed for 50 amp outlets to be wired at 40 amps with a 40 amp breaker, and the continuous load rating for that scenario is 32 amps (80% of 40) amps.

ETA: Note that if you don't do this, the voltage drop as the wires get too hot may be enough to trigger it to drop to 32 amps automatically. As such, if you see a drop to 32 amps on a given outlet, it may also be advisable to make a mental note of that and set it when using the same outlet in the future, also to help avoid any potential melting.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
Found this article that might be helpful to you. Of course I can’t speak to what amperage the circuit breaker is that the outlet uses or the length and gauge of wire.

If the electrical to the outlet was run to code, you are safe at 40 amps. Maybe the actual portable charge is what the limiting factor is? Idk

Upvote 0
I agree with @mxnym I would set it at 32A. Since you don't know the length of the run and what gauge wire they used, 32A is safer. If you want to be a geek you can change it while it's charging and note the voltage. If you get a voltage drop at 40A then bump it back down. But if it stays really close to 240V then you can leave it at 40A. If it's cold overnight that will help too.

Upvote 0