Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Oddity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had an odd thing happen while charging on my last trip. I was on my last stop (Model X - 100D - 2018) before home while trailering my new (to me) boat from Fort Lauderdale, Florida to Fort Worth, TX (~1300 miles). I had stopped in at the Arlington, TX SC (@ the ATT Stadium) - just down the road from Fort Worth - I needed just a bit more juice to make sure I could make it home. I had pulled into the end charger with he trailer still attached (Blocked 3 stalls - but there was nobody in any stalls at that point. Car started to charge - It got up to about 120KW and was charging for a couple of minutes when all of a sudden it drops down to 20 KW and stays there. I stopped the charging, got out - disconnected - reconnected. It started to charge and got back up to 20 KW and stayed there.
I then got out, disconnected again, pulled forward to the third charger terminal (Bypassing the paired terminal), plugged in - charging quickly went up to ~120KW where it was originally and all was well. I only charged for a bit more time as I was maybe 20 miles from home and had been on the road for over a week.
I had just never seen that power drop while charging - I just thought it was...odd.

some chargers are just broken like that. it doesn't take long to realize that sometimes you have to do the supercharger shuffle and go through 3-4 stalls to find a good one.

i had a charger fluctuate from 72kw down to 12 then back up to 60 then down to 20 all within a minute. i couldn't deal with it and switched to another stall that actually worked. i wasn't going to waste my time with an indecisive charger.

some chargers are just broken like that. it doesn't take long to realize that sometimes you have to do the supercharger shuffle and go through 3-4 stalls to find a good one.

i had a charger fluctuate from 72kw down to 12 then back up to 60 then down to 20 all within a minute. i couldn't deal with it and switched to another stall that actually worked. i wasn't going to waste my time with an indecisive charger.

I agree, it is the charger issue. I charge at multiple location in Bay Area including at the Tesla factory, which are probably the most outdated and broken ones..