Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 X Plaid “Charging equipment not recognized” at 250kw station.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2023 Model X Plaid started to have charging issue which makes me nervous on the road trip. I first had the issue back in late 2023. The Tesla service replace the charge port. Unfortunately, the issue came back after a month or so. I never had this issue with my Model S.

My observation: 8 out of 10 times at Tesla 250kw supercharge, I will not be able to charge. Keep getting the equipment not recognized issue. But, I managed to lower the amp to 40A or less to allow me to charge without being stranded on the road. However, while able to charge with the lower amp. I am seeing the car gave the warning “Charging adapter temperature high” and reduced the max charging speed to 50kw. It’s a painful charge time, but at least not stranded…. This defeat the whole idea of fast charge with 250kw.

At the 150kw supercharge station, it will charge 98% of the time. I did see same issue few times, but using the different stall seems to work.

At home, no issue at all. Clearly, I can only charge at lower speed.

Anyone else have/had this issue? I am have another service appointment in few weeks.

For those that is asking for error code: CP_a004, CP_a066

What are you using to charge, because some of what you are saying doesn't make sense. You say you are talking about charging at Superchargers.

But, I managed to lower the amp to 40A or less to allow me to charge without being stranded on the road.
That 40A setting is only for AC charging. It doesn't apply to DC charging, which Superchargers are. So moving that setting does nothing. There is no user interface to change the power level at Superchargers, period.

I am seeing the car gave the warning “Charging adapter temperature high” and reduced the max charging speed to 50kw.
Adapter? If it's a Tesla car using a Tesla Supercharger, there shouldn't be an adapter. Are you using some kind of adapter, or is that like a bad error message?

Reactions: MP3Mike
That 40A setting is only for AC charging. It doesn't apply to DC charging, which Superchargers are. So moving that setting does nothing. There is no user interface to change the power level at Superchargers, period.
All these are at Tesla Supercharge. Correct, normally there is no user interface when charge at Supercharge. But you are wrong! When you encountered charge issue, the charge screen came up and provide the amp adjustment just like when you are changing at home. You can reduce the the amp at that point. Either that, there is bug in the charging function where it gave that option?

Adapter? If it's a Tesla car using a Tesla Supercharger, there shouldn't be an adapter. Are you using some kind of adapter, or is that like a bad error message?
No adapter, why would I use adaptor? I am using Tesla car and Tesla charger. once I reduced the current and I was able to charge after few attempt. then it said the the charge adapter temp is too high.

But you are wrong!
No, certainly not.
When you encountered charge issue, the charge screen came up and provide the amp adjustment just like when you are changing at home. You can reduce the the amp at that point. Either that, there is bug in the charging function where it gave that option?

That would likely happen as a coincidence if the Supercharger disconnected. Because then the car will think it is not plugged into something. That charging screen can be brought up at any time, whether the car is plugged in or not, and that number can be moved up and down however you like, which isn't doing anything.
No adapter, why would I use adaptor? I am using Tesla car and Tesla charger. [...] then it said the the charge adapter temp is too high.
I didn't say that you were, but I asked that question. Your setup sounded like it wouldn't have any adapter involved, but the error message from the car mentioned it, so I thought the car was giving a confusing message probably that wasn't very accurate.
once I reduced the current and I was able to charge after few attempt.
That wasn't reducing anything, because you can't control the charging power at all on a Supercharger. Period. But the car or station was probably doing retries and was able to activate again at some point, which was just coincidental with you pushing buttons on the amp level.

Reactions: DCGOO
Rocky is correct. It is not possible to control the rate at a Supercharger. Besides it is likely a very high number. 250 kW divided by 400 volts is roughly 625 amps (Superchargers are all DC, and charge at the nominal voltage of the battery, 400 VDC). But none of that addresses your original question, but I have nothing to add. I suppose you came across a dead charging station, but short of a natural disaster, that would be highly unlikely. If you have tried multiple sites, and NONE of them work, you have a service problem that needs to addressed by Tesla.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Yeah, that is probably correct. Nevertheless, that is bad usability. If it is not applicable, it should not present that to the user. Anyway, it was not a fun experience. Between the 8hrs driving trip stretch and there are so many charging stations available. Almost every 30min there is one or more. But there are very very few 150kw available. Otherwise, I will be stranded on the road.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here:
there are so many charging stations available. Almost every 30min there is one or more. But there are very very few 150kw available.
You're saying there are too many, and you're saying there are not enough. Why are you saying both?
Are you thinking that your car can't use the 250 kW ones, and you would need to use ONLY the 150 kW ones? That's definitely not the case. All of the Tesla cars are fully compatible with either type of Supercharger. That's solid. If there was some kind of defect or a part failure or something, it was just a failure. There is no issue about compatibility with either type of Supercharger.

My 2023 Model X Plaid started to have charging issue which makes me nervous on the road trip. I first had the issue back in late 2023. The Tesla service replace the charge port. Unfortunately, the issue came back after a month or so. I never had this issue with my Model S.

My observation: 8 out of 10 times at Tesla 250kw supercharge, I will not be able to charge. Keep getting the equipment not recognized issue. But, I managed to lower the amp to 40A or less to allow me to charge without being stranded on the road. However, while able to charge with the lower amp. I am seeing the car gave the warning “Charging adapter temperature high” and reduced the max charging speed to 50kw. It’s a painful charge time, but at least not stranded…. This defeat the whole idea of fast charge with 250kw.

At the 150kw supercharge station, it will charge 98% of the time. I did see same issue few times, but using the different stall seems to work.

At home, no issue at all. Clearly, I can only charge at lower speed.

Anyone else have/had this issue? I am have another service appointment in few weeks.

For those that is asking for error code: CP_a004, CP_a066
I have a 2022 MX Plaid and am having the same issue at Superchargers. I’m on a road trip. The first couple of stops at Superchargers were fine, then on subsequent Supercharger stops, I’m only able to get about 30 to 40 seconds of charging (roughly 1kwh onboarded) before charging stops and the ‘CP_a004 Charging Equipment Not Recognized’ error is displayed. If I disconnect the charger and re-insert, charging again initializes and starts, but stops again after ~30 to 40 seconds. Out of desperation, I just stood outside my car connecting and disconnecting as the error was repeatedly thrown and over the course of 20 minutes managed to get about 10kwh so I could limp along my way. When I got to my destination, I plugged in my travel charger, and the car charged fine overnight with no interruption. In a couple of days, I’m supposed to head back home (8 hour drive) and I’m terrified the plug-in / pick up 1kwh / error / un-plug / re-plug / pick up 1kwh / error dance will be my only way to get home 😑

I have a 2023 Model X Plaid and ran into the same issue. I supercharged at a 150kW station and it was fine. 4 hours later I pulled up to a 250kW station and got the CP_a004 error after 30 seconds. I tried 3 different stations and no success.

I pinged Tesla to see if they know of this issue