Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging plugs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
My 2020 Model S came with the wall connector, UMC and an adapter to use with CCS chargers on the road.
If I was to change the S for a Y (when available in Australia) can I keep the installed wall charger and use it on the Y (a) As is or (b) using it via the adapter?
And, if (b) would it charge faster?

If I was to change the S for a Y (when available in Australia) can I keep the installed wall charger and use it on the Y (a) As is or (b) using it via the adapter?
And, if (b) would it charge faster?
You said Australia, right? I'm putting together the info. So this is a Type2 plug handle on the wall connector, right?

Yes, the Y will have the same port and can definitely charge from that same wall connector.

I can't quite guarantee about charging speeds. That depends a bit on what onboard chargers your old car had and how your wall connector is installed to know what size circuit it is. In some other places, 3 phase electricity service is more common in house than it is in the U.S. Is your wall connector on 3 phase or single phase? I think the 2020 Model S you have probably has the 11 kW charger in it. The Model Y will probably have that too, so if your wall connector could supply that before, it should do the same for the Y.

Thanks for that - I still find the plugs ultra confusing, especially when websites are geared to varying countries!
The Australian Tesla superchargers have the "single" head on one cable and the "double" head CCS?) on a second, which I can use on my S with the supplied adapter.
And yes, my wall connector is single phase standard 240v. Unfortunately I moved from a 3 phase house to a retirement village when I got the S and it's only single phase. (With the operator's cost cutting I'm surprised it's not ½ phase, but there we are...)

Maybe this little chart will help in confusion, this “schuko” section is plain EU two pin plug (one phase). I do not believe you will get faster charging with new car model as the amperage of mains does it.
617A6956-17AF-496F-B12D-37223B28763A.jpeg