Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Listers,

Last December I purchased a used 2015 Model S85 with 25,000 miles on her. Whenever I charged her either on a supercharger or at home (12 V wall outlet) with the range limit set to the standard on my screen it charged to 237 miles. If I fully charged to 100% it was 263 miles, give or take a mile or two.

Earlier this week I had a Tesla wall charger installed in my garage. It's putting out 248 volts and has a 60 amp breaker.

Last night I plugged it in to the Tesla wall charger for the first time. Two interesting things happened: First, it will only charge at a rate of between 6 and 10 mph. I've attempted to reset the amperage on the charge screen but it defaults back to 12 A as soon as I plug in the charger. it shows on the main screen 248V however.

Second, this morning I went out and at the recommended 85% battery charge cap it showed a range of 270 miles. And no, it was only showing the battery charged to the recommended capacity for daily driving, not 100% charged.

So..........why is it charging so slowly and how did my range suddenly jump from 237 to 270???? BTW, it didn't receive any online updates the last few weeks so that's not a factor. Any insight appreciated!

First, its a *dip switch. :rolleyes:

2nd, what does your rate of charge show in amps & volts? You may have to change your display to energy instead of distance to get a meaningful reading. Then you should see something like 40 amps @ 248 volts. IIRC, the onboard charger on a 2015 MS accepts up to 40 amps unless you have dual chargers which would accept up to 80 amps. But since you have a 60-amp breaker the WC will limit the draw to 48 amps (80% of 60 amps).

First question solved. No, my electrician did not change the dial, I just opened it and it was on "1". I turned it to 9, flipped the breaker back on and it's charging at 43 mph now. Still curious about the newly extended battery range though. Not upset by any means, quite happy actually, just curious how it increased. I guess it's a good problem to have!

I haven't had your exact issue, but my 2013 TMS85 will adjust the charge rate down to ~32A if there are electricity spikes when I set it to take at 40A. When I look at the energy graphs through my WiFi enabled EVSE (Juicebox), I can see that there are times when the kWh rate is flat and continuous (especially at amperage below 32A) and there are times when the kWh rate rapidly oscillates +/- .2kWh (usually at amperage above 34A). So how might this relate to your situation?

The onboard charger will adjust to a slower rate if there is an issue with the electricity flow or condition. So there might be an issue with your electricity deliver on the line. It could be the Tesla EVSE (HPWC), the electrical line, breaker, panel, or service line. It could also be your onboard charger, but it sounds like your Level 1 and SC charging capabilities seem to be fine.

I would recommend you have the electrician come back to do some tests on the line. If they are recommended by Tesla, perhaps they can test the HPWC too. You might also need a 2nd opinion too.