Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2021 Long Range Actual Range After Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2021 Model S Long Range "refresh" that is supposed to be rated for 405 miles. I have the lower range wheels and tires (21 inch), so maybe it is supposed to be 394 miles. But, when I charge to 80%, it only shows 245 miles of range at 80%. If I do the math, a full charge then would give me roughly 295 miles, roughly 100 miles short of what it was advertised. I have not tried to charge it yet to 100%, but assuming range is linear, does this mean that the battery is degraded, or asked another way, why am I not showing the advertised range (achieving the indicated range is another topic).

I’m always still surprised how many people still think the displayed range number on the car is being derived based on someones driving habits, or freeway vs city, or temperature outside or weather or anything else like that. its JUST simple math using the cars wh per mile fixed number and how much energy the BMS “thinks” is remaining.
not sure what that number is for the OPs car (mine is 300) .
i think the OP understands this hence his statement “ achieving the indicated range is another topic“.
his number definitely seems off somehow……

Reactions: AAKEE and dhrivnak
Upvote 0
I’m always still surprised how many people still think the displayed range number on the car is being derived based on someones driving habits, or freeway vs city, or temperature outside or weather or anything else like that. its JUST simple math using the cars wh per mile fixed number and how much energy the BMS “thinks” is remaining.
not sure what that number is for the OPs car (mine is 300) .
i think the OP understands this hence his statement “ achieving the indicated range is another topic“.
his number definitely seems off somehow……
Yep, you got me. I misinterpreted the question, missed that last piece.

Upvote 0
At 100%, I got a lot more than a linear 20% bump versus an 80% charge. It now indicates 358 mile range at 100%, so given the wheels and 12k miles, I guess that is probably in line with expectations.
Yes I have 21+ with 21inch wheels 364 @ 100% last year
Today 359 @ 100% over 12 months as expected

Today at 80% this what I charge now regular unless long trips I get 284 Milea at 80%

So some degradation on battery but as expected not going to lose any sleep for few miles

As long as it drives great for me zero complaints love it

I always say losing few miles does it make a difference? Heck no who drives to zero miles and we alway charge

Enjoy the car if you think you not getting charge 100% take it to below 10% and recharge to 100%

This should calibrate the battery to normal range

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip and I will try that. I have had it a year or so, but I have never let it get down below 100 miles of range. Most of my driving is local.
As @ucmndd says, the range new with 21” set should be around 375.

After ~ 2 years in a slightly warm climate we would expect the battery to have lost ~ 10% if the car was charged like people mostly do. The car hides a couple of percent of the degradation before the range drops so we would expect about 8% or so range drop.
(Not very exact but as a pointer to what to expect).
So, we should be looking at somewhere around 345 miles range at 100%.

Charge full, as @ucmndd says and if it do not show a out expected you might wanna perform a BMS calib to check.
(It would also be possible to calculate the capacity by yourself, but it has to be a longer drive for this to be accurate. I can assist with the how-to if you like).

Upvote 0