Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Normally I don’t charge at home but last night I had to. Car is set to start schedule charging at 1:30am. Car started charging like normal and completed at 3:55am. This morning I wake up about 5:00am and start warming up my car through the Tesla app. I go out into the garage to leave at approx 5:30am and when I go out I notice descending green lights on my HPWC and sure enough the car is showing charging on the dash at 7amps.
Why would the car be charging as the charging completed at 3:55am?
Could this have happened because I was warming up the car while it was plugged in? Does it use the power from the HPWC instead of the car battery to warm the car if plugged in? I’m assuming this was the reason but was hoping someone could clarify.

Yes, if plugged in it'll pull directly from the wall to run HVAC.

Also, sometimes when the car has completed charging many hours ago, it can start to charge again. You'll sometimes get multiple "charging complete" notifications because of this.

Hi, not quite similar like the OP but had a situation two nights ago on my UMC. Had scheduled charging startup time at 1:30 am but needed to change this as working on night shift. It’s quite long distance to walk so chose do stop charging by app and later manually started again at 4:30 am. To my surprise as I walked to my car 10:00 am found that charging had stopped 70-80% of SOC, I usually keep it at 90%. Odd thing was the app never gave message that something is wrong (as of stopped charging) and why on earth there is no possibility on app to schedule time for charging. I’m on 2019.32.12.3 version.