Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I made a mistake yesterday, (one of several, but that's not important:biggrin:), I stopped in at the Fashion Island Newport Beach location to get some juice. I forgot to change my amp setting up from the 30 that I use at home up to the 70 that was available. So when I got back to the car I gained half the miles I was counting on. My question is, is there any reason for me to have my amp setting limited to 30? I never charge any lower than that, and if I keep it set at 70, I wouldn't run into the problem that I did.

Last edited:
Odd. It should remember the amp setting by location. That should not have happened.

That said, when on the road I ALWAYS wait until the car is charging at full power before leaving. Well worth a couple of minutes of your time.

The car will not let you set higher than what you are plugged into. For example if you are plugged into a 14-50, the car will sense the adapter for that plug and set amps appropriately at 40 unless you have set it differently for a particular location.

Yes you could set it at 70A and it'll just draw the maximum amount available. The reason why you would set it at a lower amperage is if you're home charging at peak electricity rates and you just want to cool the car down.
If you set it at 12A (at 240V) for 30-60 minutes, it'll cool the battery pack down to prolong its life. Then at midnight or whenever your off-peak rates kick-in, you can charge at the maximum rate.

Also if you're range mode charging, you'll want to drive it off within an hour or so of reaching 100% SOC - so you can calculate how much amperage you'll need based upon when you start the charge and SOC.

The remote access devices (Tattler/OVMS) makes this thing easier to do so you don't have to keep going back to your car to change the amperage settings.

Thank you guys! So I assume that the only reason I should not have the setting at 70 amps, would be if for some reason I did not want the full amperage available at the charging location? No harm in having the setting higher than what is available?

Another reason to intentionally set low sometimes - if you are concerned about the quality of the connection. For instance if you were at a campground at a worn looking, marginal 14-50 socket you might not want to pull the full amps from it.

DSC_2181.jpg