Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

charging speed at 72kW vs 120kW Superchargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may rent a place in South Florida, and since it may be in a highrise condo that may not have charging, would have to rely on Superchargers. The nearest (probably in Aventura) will only charge at up to 72kW vs the 120kW I have used in CT. How does that impact charging speed...will it take 120/72 (or 1.67) times as long, or is it some other number?

I may rent a place in South Florida, and since it may be in a highrise condo that may not have charging, would have to rely on Superchargers. The nearest (probably in Aventura) will only charge at up to 72kW vs the 120kW I have used in CT. How does that impact charging speed...will it take 120/72 (or 1.67) times as long, or is it some other number?

It's a lot less than that, because your car generally can't take 120 kW for long anyway. The exact answer is complicated, though, because the impact will vary greatly depending on where in the pack you are and the pack's temperature.

Charge time is relevant to how empty you are. If you are down to 10 miles, long time, if you are at 50% or higher short time. I keep a log of every charge. I have charged in 20 states, many towns. Never ever get same rate. PERIOD.
A new hotel here put in a 100 amp public chager. It uses both of my inverters and is almost as fast as a super chargers.
I have been in many Super Charger sites, had this discussion. There too many variables, temp, kw of you car, how emtpy you are.

Watch a charging session when you're on a charger in CT. See how much of the time is spent at higher than 72kW, that should give you an idea of how much time you'll spend capped.

As people have said, there are lots of variables. In my case (75kWh battery) the time spent above 72kW is a lot shorter than for a 100kWh battery, and the absolute peak for me is a lot lower.