Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging stops when I open the door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I am charging with the travel connector, if I open the door the screen immediately drops to 0 mi/hr charge rate. When I close the door the charging number jumps back to where it was.

Is this normal? Does the charging actually continue without updating on the screen?

When I am charging with the travel connector, if I open the door the screen immediately drops to 0 mi/hr charge rate. When I close the door the charging number jumps back to where it was.

Is this normal? Does the charging actually continue without updating on the screen?
Nothing is wrong but as you have observed you won't be able to sit in the Tesla vehicle with the HVAC running and charge the Tesla Model Y's battery pack using this charging setup. If you are charge your Tesla Model Y using the Tesla Mobile Connector and the Tesla NEMA 5-15 power plug adapter that comes with the Mobile Connector the charging rate is a maximum of 120V X 12A (1.44 kilowatt). When you opened the door of the Tesla Model Y the climate control system turned on the HVAC system and the power used by the HVAC was equal to or greater than the power available for charging. This can be a factor in the time needed to charge even when you are charging using Level 2. Anytime the HVAC is running energy is being drawn from the Tesla's battery, potentially at a rate that is equal to or greater than the energy being added while charging.

Once the cabin temperature has reached the desired temperature the power consumed by the HVAC will be less but it will still be using power from the battery and extending the time needed to charge. You won't notice any difference in charging rate when using a Supercharger because the power available to charge the battery while Supercharging is so much greater than the power consumed by the HVAC system.

In winter, when the outside temperature falls below 50F (10C) the Tesla Model Y's battery management system (BMS) will warm the battery pack to 50C before starting to charge. The time needed to charge may be extended if the BMS needs to further warm the battery while the Tesla Model Y is charging to maintain the proper battery temperature.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H