Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging Tips Please

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the definition of people that actually need to use free charging ? Couriers, Taxis, Royal Mail other commercial companies ?

It's free as an incentive to move from ICE (return on investment calc), just like tax breaks and plug in grants - only the naïve would think they'll be around forever.

Just like saving a £2-£3 when I fill my 4x4 I'll go to supermarket pumps whilst shopping.

I consider the infrastructure to be there for people who whilst travelling require a top up. Not people who live round the corner with a home charger installed to save a few pennies. The attitude of taking advantage of free charging wherever possible will lead to its quicker demise and also tensions as more and more people get ev's and try to have the same idea. I already see it around my area and i have to laugh at the number of times i have went past a plug in hybrid hogging a charge point to save its owner a few pence. I have drove past a CCS charger local to me and seen the same Tesla parked at it for 3-4hrs at a time. Its bad form IMHO.

PS its nothing like saving £2-£3 to fill your 4x4 is it really? If you could drive your 4x4 200-250 miles for £3 would you really go out your way to save that £3? No you really wouldn't.

Reactions: bhav and MrBadger
I consider the infrastructure to be there for people who whilst travelling require a top up. Not people who live round the corner with a home charger installed to save a few pennies. The attitude of taking advantage of free charging wherever possible will lead to its quicker demise and also tensions as more and more people get ev's and try to have the same idea. I already see it around my area and i have to laugh at the number of times i have went past a plug in hybrid hogging a charge point to save its owner a few pence. I have drove past a CCS charger local to me and seen the same Tesla parked at it for 3-4hrs at a time. Its bad form IMHO.

PS its nothing like saving £2-£3 to fill your 4x4 is it really? If you could drive your 4x4 200-250 miles for £3 would you really go out your way to save that £3? No you really wouldn't.

Im not sure if you are asking a question and then answering it yourself - the 80L tank takes about £100 to fill and will get 13-20mpg give or take depending on how it's driven and yes I'll fill it whilst getting shopping as the £3 is in my pocket and not someone else's, not going out of my way to save money just saving it, shockingly they also have a free PodPoint at the supermarket.

Im just using the free network that's available on my doorstep, if it was not intended for local use they could easily have blocked it as they have my home address and know my RFID and App ID.

Good luck up there with your halcyon way.

A little anecdote - I remember as a kid an overnight petrol station (the ones that you carefully fed in a £1 note at a time) broke and just kept dispensing petrol, we drove home to get some petrol cans and my dad just told his brother on the way. By the time we got back the queue was along the street and people were walking with watering cans with petrol in!

Complete disregard for those travelling on the A1 that needed petrol or just human nature.

Reactions: Yev000

CCS availability never really a problem around here so I’ve no real issue with taking my car round for 30-40min to charge whilst I go a 10k run. Appreciate you live in Falkirk though, so it’s probably absolutely teeming with expensive electric vehicles queuing up to use the chargers.

The Scottish government have provided chargers and free charging in order to increase the uptake of electric vehicles. The slower chargers are in no way suitable for those travelling on long journeys, I'm not going to use them when travelling from the South to the North of Scotland, they'd take too long.

They're absolutely there for local convenience and as an incentive to ownership currently.

I agree that fast chargers (ccs) on key transport trunks should be avoided for casual charging to allow others more in need to use them and get on with their journey, but I don't think that form of usage was ever suggested.

Reactions: DaddyCool
The slower chargers are in no way suitable for those travelling on long journeys, I'm not going to use them when travelling from the South to the North of Scotland, they'd take too long.

Not all car use revolves around single journeys. They can be on multi-day trips. These types of chargers are vital and wholly suitable for people spending time at a location but not necessarily travelling long distances.

I know that if I was visiting Scotland, or any multiday trip away from home, I would be planning it based upon being able to top up for a few hours here and there when convenient, rather than going out of my way to do a splash and dash on a rapid.

A couple of weeks away from home charging is a whole different ball game than a couple of hundred mile trip.

I agree that fast chargers (ccs) on key transport trunks should be avoided for casual charging to allow others more in need to use them and get on with their journey, but I don't think that form of usage was ever suggested.
Casual use of the CCS chargers is exactly what the OP was asking about.

Not all car use revolves around single journeys. They can be on multi-day trips. These types of chargers are vital and wholly suitable for people spending time at a location but not necessarily travelling long distances.

I know that if I was visiting Scotland, or any multiday trip away from home, I would be planning it based upon being able to top up for a few hours here and there when convenient, rather than going out of my way to do a splash and dash on a rapid.

A couple of weeks away from home charging is a whole different ball game than a couple of hundred mile trip.
Good luck on your visit better make it quick before too many cheapskates clog up the public charging network lol

CCS availability never really a problem around here so I’ve no real issue with taking my car round for 30-40min to charge whilst I go a 10k run. Appreciate you live in Falkirk though, so it’s probably absolutely teeming with expensive electric vehicles queuing up to use the chargers.
Suppose that was meant as a wee sly dig as your fae Glesga an wee poor Falkirk yins cany afford EV's yet your the one wanna be a cheapskate wrt charging yer expensive electric car. But no not exactly teeming no but to be fair there is a fair few these days. Three model 3s an X and an S and a few BMW I whatsits within 3 streets of me and very few public chargers other than the charging hub thats just been built at the football stadium. I only gave an opinion. Me personally i don't mind paying £20-£30 a month in electricity to have my M3P topped up on my drive every morning. I find letting the battery drop much below 50% starts affecting the performance too much the acceleration starts to lose its brutality IMO. But you go for it OP 1 charge a week should save ye £100-£150 over the year lol :)

Last edited:
Casual use of the CCS chargers is exactly what the OP was asking about.

Good luck on your visit better make it quick before too many cheapskates clog up the public charging network lol

Suppose that was meant as a wee sly dig as your fae Glesga an wee poor Falkirk yins cany afford EV's yet your the one wanna be a cheapskate wrt charging yer expensive electric car. But no not exactly teeming no but to be fair there is a fair few these days. Three model 3s an X and an S and a few BMW I whatsits within 3 streets of me and very few public chargers other than the charging hub thats just been built at the football stadium. I only gave an opinion. Me personally i don't mind paying £20-£30 a month in electricity to have my M3P topped up on my drive every morning. I find letting the battery drop much below 50% starts affecting the performance too much the acceleration starts to lose its brutality IMO. But you go for it OP 1 charge a week should save ye £100-£150 over the year lol :)
Oh what it must be like to be rich and care free.

Does anyone know what the net cost difference is to the 'free' supplier is for charging my car from 50% to say 70% on:
50kW DC
7kW AC
Just to help @DaveyJ2019 understand when the free will disappear.

A little paradox from my personal observations is if someone is AC charging for say 3hrs the DC does not output anywhere near the rate if the AC bay was empty
ie 3 cars could consecutively charge the same amount quicker on the DC than one on the AC and two coming and going on the DC.

Chapeau to @theweakestlink 10K in 30-40 mins is some pace <insert Glasgow criminal activity joke here> and a great use of your charging time as exercise and the links the physical and mental wellbeing are well documented.

Oh what it must be like to be rich and care free.
Far from it unfortunately. But I can afford the extremely huge charging costs for my Tesla... just!

Does anyone know what the net cost difference is to the 'free' supplier is for charging my car from 50% to say 70% on:
50kW DC
7kW AC
Just to help @DaveyJ2019 understand when the free will disappear.
End of the day you are both entitled to your opinion. And many will agree with you and will want to take full advantage of free public charging. I don't see the point. As more and more people join us in the EV revolution those chargers will just get busier and busier. I am of the opinion the we have a premium EV with great range driving a Tesla. Others with smaller batteries and much less range will be in greater need to use public chargers. But as i said you and the OP can crack on and scrimp every penny of saving you can from them whatever floats your boat. ;)

Far from it unfortunately. But I can afford the extremely huge charging costs for my Tesla... just!

End of the day you are both entitled to your opinion. And many will agree with you and will want to take full advantage of free public charging. I don't see the point. As more and more people join us in the EV revolution those chargers will just get busier and busier. I am of the opinion the we have a premium EV with great range driving a Tesla. Others with smaller batteries and much less range will be in greater need to use public chargers. But as i said you and the OP can crack on and scrimp every penny of saving you can from them whatever floats your boat. ;)
Glad we have your permission Sir. How about you take some of that time that you value so much and piss off rather than hanging about forums spouting your useless opinions.

• Disagree
Reactions: NorfolkMustard
That's interesting what's the split of the 549.9kWh car charging vs 'normal' home

I use about 10 per day for "normal" use. The rest is cars. That period is 22nd Jan. 2020 - 21st Feb. 2020

Thats 30 days. so 300 KWh "normal use" and 250KWh car use - roughly. About 50/50 and i usually charge at work (well not now obviosly)

The next billing "period" is 59 days, due to them dropping the ball and is more or less me working from home.

Electricity 22nd Feb. 2020 - 20th April 2020 - £84.32

Total consumption 958.3kWh @ 7.15p/kWh † £68.50
Standing Charge 59 days @ 20.00p/day £11.80
Subtotal of charges before VAT £80.30
VAT @ 5.00% £4.02

So there roughly 600Kwh were normal use and 350 was car use

Last monday I actually managed this:

Total cost £ -0.13
Total consumption 30.14 kWh
Weighted average unit rate -0.42 p / kWh

Lots of price "plunge" alerts during this lockdown.... But I'm also not driving. Shame i cant use the electricity in my cars to power my house.

I use about 10 per day for "normal" use. The rest is cars. That period is 22nd Jan. 2020 - 21st Feb. 2020

Thats 30 days. so 300 KWh "normal use" and 250KWh car use - roughly. About 50/50 and i usually charge at work (well not now obviosly)

The next billing "period" is 59 days, due to them dropping the ball and is more or less me working from home.

Electricity 22nd Feb. 2020 - 20th April 2020 - £84.32

Total consumption 958.3kWh @ 7.15p/kWh † £68.50
Standing Charge 59 days @ 20.00p/day £11.80
Subtotal of charges before VAT £80.30
VAT @ 5.00% £4.02

So there roughly 600Kwh were normal use and 350 was car use

Last monday I actually managed this:

Total cost £ -0.13
Total consumption 30.14 kWh
Weighted average unit rate -0.42 p / kWh

Lots of price "plunge" alerts during this lockdown.... But I'm also not driving. Shame i cant use the electricity in my cars to power my house.
Thank you, Id struggle with these saving tariffs as my 'normal use' mostly at peak no car charging :confused:
490kWh 13/2->12/3
552kWh 13/3->12/4