Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging with 110 v

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently wanted to charge with 110 v using the cord that came with the car. While the part that fits into the charging port had two pins, the part was too wide to fit into the port. How can one charge with 110 v when the part is too wide to fit into the port?

The setup for 110v charging should look like the attached picture. What part doesn't fit where?

Attachments

• Image.png
    Image.png
    746.8 KB · Views: 90
  • Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
I recently wanted to charge with 110 v using the cord that came with the car. While the part that fits into the charging port had two pins, the part was too wide to fit into the port. How can one charge with 110 v when the part is too wide to fit into the port?
Welcome!

What you describe does not sound like a Tesla connector. In addition, Tesla connector no long come with the cars unless you buy used and the seller is kind enough to give you one.

Maybe you can find out what you have by looking at these user manuals:

the Mobile Connector Gen 2 is what most people have and use. These used to come included with the cars for free but that stopped a while ago. Worst case scenario, you will need to purchase the Mobile Connector from Tesla for $230. The J1772 adapter may still come with the cars but that won't let you charge from a standard 110 v wall outlet.

Upvote 0
Was the electrical receptacle really old? Some of them didn’t have 2 different size slots.
Yeah, reading the OP is seemed like they are trying in insert a polarized plug (the 5-15 Tesla adapter) into an old non-polarized outlet. Here's the difference:

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Upvote 0
Yeah, reading the OP is seemed like they are trying in insert a polarized plug (the 5-15 Tesla adapter) into an old non-polarized outlet. Here's the difference:

But did they ever make non polarized plugs with a ground? Because the Tesla 5-15 adapter has three pins, or two blades and a round ground.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
But did they ever make non polarized plugs with a ground? Because the Tesla 5-15 adapter has three pins, or two blades and a round ground.
NEMA 1-15 non-polarized receptacles are still around in old houses (I lived in a house that had some in the basement that were never converted to 5-15 grounded receptacles.)

But I thought all NEMA 5-15 receptacles were polarized to allow for the wider neutral blade.

Upvote 0