Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Charginh Amp for battery longevity

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My round trip commute is about 50 miles, at 32 AMP fills up in about 2 hours. Is it better to lower the Amp for battery health since i am in no rush to fully (80%) charge it until next morning?

My round trip commute is about 50 miles, at 32 AMP fills up in about 2 hours. Is it better to lower the Amp for battery health since i am in no rush to fully (80%) charge it until next morning?
No. Just make a habit of plugging in when you get home and unplugging when you leave, and don’t think any more about it. Let the battery management system manage the battery and just enjoy your car.

Reactions: outdoors and UTMB
It's such a low current to the individual cells, that even the full 48A won't impact battery longevity. Just don't go crazy supercharging on a daily basis, you'll be fine.
I wish Tesla would give this same advice but I realize they want to sell Teslas to those many thousands of urban dwellers that have no home charging solution. But at least the urban Superchargers have a much lower current than the regular Superchargers.

New Tesla owner. Question about charging habits:
My daily commute is 20 miles round trip. Should I charge daily at home? If so, what percentage (80% or 90%)?

Or would it be better for the battery to wait a few days so it goes down to 50-60% and then charge it back to 90%?

Thanks.

My daily commute is 20 miles round trip. Should I charge daily at home? If so, what percentage (80% or 90%)?

Or would it be better for the battery to wait a few days so it goes down to 50-60% and then charge it back to 90%?

Thanks.
Plug it in every night so you make a habit of it. A plugged in Tesla is a happy Tesla. Setting your limit to 80% is fine, but the number you set it to is really based on your needs. I drive 60 to 80 miles per day and setting the limit to 80% works well for me.

Thanks.

I recommend setting it at 90% and forgetting about it unless you absolutely need the additional range for a road trip. Also, plugging your Tesla in at all times while not in use (regardless of charge state) is recommended.

From the Model 3 owner's manual:

Model 3 has one of the most sophisticated battery systems in the world. The most important way to preserve the Battery is to LEAVE YOUR VEHICLE PLUGGED IN when you are not using it. This is particularly important if you are not planning to drive Model 3 for several weeks. When plugged in, Model 3 wakes up when needed to automatically maintain a charge level that maximizes the lifetime of the Battery. Note: When left idle and unplugged, your vehicle periodically uses energy from the Battery for system tests and recharging the 12V battery when necessary. There is no advantage to waiting until the Battery’s level is low before charging. In fact, the Battery performs best when charged regularly.

Congrats on your Tesla!