Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Charging to 80% v 100%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know it is recommended to charge to 80% for daily driving but I drive 85 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. Would it be better to charge to 100% since I don’t have a regular “commute” or stick to the 80% recommendation?

I know it is recommended to charge to 80% for daily driving but I drive 85 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. Would it be better to charge to 100% since I don’t have a regular “commute” or stick to the 80% recommendation?

Im not sure why you are asking about charging to 100% vs 80% for that commute. My commute to my work location is virtually the same (82-83 miles round trip). Whether you do it 1 day a week or 7 days a week really doesnt matter for this, because you should be charging every evening when you return home.

There is no benefit at all to "running it down to charge it back up", so if you are thinking you need to charge to 100% so you can try to charge every other day or something, dont do that, there isnt any reason at all to do that.

Just make sure you have some form of 240v charging at your home location, then, when you return home from your work commute, plug in and have the car set to 80%.

Im not sure why you are asking about charging to 100% vs 80% for that commute. My commute to my work location is virtually the same (82-83 miles round trip). Whether you do it 1 day a week or 7 days a week really doesnt matter for this, because you should be charging every evening when you return home.

There is no benefit at all to "running it down to charge it back up", so if you are thinking you need to charge to 100% so you can try to charge every other day or something, dont do that, there isnt any reason at all to do that.

Just make sure you have some form of 240v charging at your home location, then, when you return home from your work commute, plug in and have the car set to 80%.
Ok, thanks for the information.

When I was working 60 miles away (round trip) with my M3 I would charge it to 100% no questions because the only option I had was trickle charging at home, and I remember when I sold the car years later there was almost no battery degradation so if you're forced to charge in the higher limits I'd say go for it. I can't speak for all cars but you gotta do what you gotta do.

unless you planning on keeping the car for 20+ years, you will not see any significant battery degradation.
Just charge to 100% and use it right away. Charge it to 100% and letting it sit for a long time will damage the battery.