Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

cheap 20 inch tires on performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You basically negate all the benefits and extra cost of getting the Performance model by putting cheap tires on it.

Just to play a little devils advocate, the oem 18" MXM4s are pretty damn terrible with traction in dry and wet but they've always been used for the stealth P3Ds. I haven't experienced anything close to hydroplaning in many many years until I got my car with the MXM4s. I get Tesla optimized for quietness and rolling resistance to say the car can go 300 miles but would cheap tires be that much worse when it comes to performance?

Unless you need it for winter season, getting all-season defeats the purpose of getting the performance. Here are 2 tires I would consider for cheaper alternatives to MP4S. Both tires have decent review on tirerack.com.

Max Performance - Continental Extreme Contact Sports
Ultra Summer Performance - Falken Azenis FK510

You guys need to check the tread width on the Tesla spec PS4S, it’s 8.8” which is closer to a “normal” 255 tire however it has the aerodynamic profile closer to that of a 235. It’s a pretty unique tire due to its construction and you may not be gaining anything at all going to a “wider” tire.

Where are you located and what are your weather conditions? I went the cheap route too after reading up on how people really liked the Sumitomo HTR summer tires on the BMW forums and got them. I nearly wiped out going 60 mph through a moderate NYC puddle. Any time it rained, I was terrified of hydroplaning with those tires. They were so bad that I took them off after not even 1000 miles on them and went back to Continentals.