Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Were obsessed with our 2020 performance model Y but the road noise is unbearable, 77-79DB on the highway. We have pirelli p-zeros on there so l'm assuming they are loud due to being run flats. They’re nearing the end of their life so I’m sure that’s not helping. I invested hundreds of dollars and hours of time into sound deadening the trunk and wheel wells which did nothing to tire noise but did help the suspension be less abrasive when hitting holes or rumble strips. I know we don't have acoustic glass and I'm sure that’s a game changer.

Is there any way to reduce tire noise or are the 21 inch übers always going to be loud? I thought about purchasing a set of 20 inch Ubers from a m3p owner and trying to get a bigger sidewall (255/40/20) but not sure that’s possible? I would be open to induction wheels, but probably would not go any smaller than 20 inches.

Thank you for your responses!

Run flats are awful for noise. Smaller wheels = more tire sidewall = smoother and probably slightly quieter ride. Nobody is gonna be able to tell you exactly how much noise will be saved by going from 21" to 20" or whatever. It's a progression but you're gonna have to decide how badly you wanna reduce the tire noise. You're either gonna have to live with some or get smaller wheels.

But even if you don't change the wheels, getting something that's not a run flat and possibly has acoustic foam (I'm still not convinced that the foam is as big of a game changer as the tire companies claim and it makes the tires harder to repair) will probably make a big difference.

Reactions: WyoDude
Upvote 1
As a tire wears, the softer rubber on the tire tread gets worn away exposing harder rubber. As more and more of this hard rubber is exposed the tire gets noisier and noisier.

I drove a plug-in hybrid for 11 years. I went through 2 tire replacements at around 25000 miles each. Each time I replaced the tires, even with the same brand of tire, the tire noise was greatly improved. Its my opinion that just putting on new tires, of any brand, will significantly improve road noise.

Reactions: Pianewman
Upvote 0
Run flats are awful for noise. Smaller wheels = more tire sidewall = smoother and probably slightly quieter ride. Nobody is gonna be able to tell you exactly how much noise will be saved by going from 21" to 20" or whatever. It's a progression but you're gonna have to decide how badly you wanna reduce the tire noise. You're either gonna have to live with some or get smaller wheels.

But even if you don't change the wheels, getting something that's not a run flat and possibly has acoustic foam (I'm still not convinced that the foam is as big of a game changer as the tire companies claim and it makes the tires harder to repair) will probably make a big difference.
^ this

Drop wheel size
Replace tires
Different tires
Those will all have some impact

Upvote 0
spray foam your wheel wheels with open cell foam - just kidding, but it you are desperate, let us know how it works out.

On my 4th Tesla, these could help - Pirelli P Zero AS Plus 3 tires price | Pirelli, get the smallest wheel you can tolerate. I have and S and X and we learned early to NEVER buy the largest wheel for a Tesla, noisy, rough, and road hazards eat the wheels and tires like a cop at Dunkin' Donuts...

Reactions: WyoDude
Upvote 0
Looks like all the major tire manufacturers are well aware of noise issues with EV tires. Have a look at this interview of several tire manufacturers specifically about EV tires and noise levels: What Makes EV Tires So Quiet?

One of the few things I dislike about my MYP is the cabin noise level on road trips. It's all about tire noise, though wind noise is not far behind. I wish we were still using rubberized asphalt, because that was a whisper-quiet road surface. If we are on a quiet surface, the MYP is fine. If we are on a noisy one, it can be bad - really bad. (We had a very odd stretch coming east on I-10 in the Palm Springs area where the tires were making loud noises like we were torturing a puppy. Lasted 5-10 miles. Never heard anything like it.)

I think the key is going to be adding sound insulation to the floor. Doubt aftermarket has a real solution here.

Upvote 0
I have carbon fiber wheels on my S and they make a huge difference in road noise. Even my wife who doesn't notice anything in a car noticed the difference when she drove my S verses her X.

Its all about tire compound and attenuating road noise, carbon absorbs the NVH, aluminum transmits it...

I have their older E2 style wheel.

1710010701878.png

Upvote 0
spray foam your wheel wheels with open cell foam - just kidding, but it you are desperate, let us know how it works out.

On my 4th Tesla, these could help - Pirelli P Zero AS Plus 3 tires price | Pirelli, get the smallest wheel you can tolerate. I have and S and X and we learned early to NEVER buy the largest wheel for a Tesla, noisy, rough, and road hazards eat the wheels and tires like a cop at Dunkin' Donuts...
FYI, doesn't seem like they make the P Zero AS Plus 3 in Model Y sizes. Did a search for each trim and no luck.

Upvote 0
And the resin?

I want to hear the oilphobe man say it
I think Carbon Atoms are the base, bonded in a linear fashion as crystals,I am no expert, but I believe it starts out as carbon fiber thread, which is then weaved to make a Tow, that are weaved/stitched with tailored fiber placement to make everything from Dyneema ropes, Tents, wheels, armored Ballastic cloths, and even sails on Americas Cup racing catamarans. The tailored fiber placement is designed for what ever structural performance specs the product needs, in the case of wheels they use carbon fiber resin infusion to RTM or Resin Transfer Mold the product.

I am also keeping on eye on Graphene, which is even more advanced than Carbon....

Why do you ask? It weird that these wheels are made of epoxy resin (a thermosetting polymer) and carbon fiber thread, with an aluminum hub.... that's it... which makes them about 1/3 lighter than stock 13 Lbs vers 33 lbs...per corner, they are extremely rigid, I also have CF wheels on my road bike and are looking to get them from my electric motorcycle. Candidly the road bike experience got me interested in them for my car.

1710458187158.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think Carbon Atoms are the base, bonded in a linear fashion as crystals,I am no expert, but I believe it starts out as carbon fiber thread, which is then weaved to make a Tow, that are weaved/stitched with tailored fiber placement to make everything from Dyneema ropes, Tents, wheels, armored Ballastic cloths, and even sails on Americas Cup racing catamarans. The tailored fiber placement is designed for what ever structural performance specs the product needs, in the case of wheels they use carbon fiber resin infusion to RTM or Resin Transfer Mold the product.

I am also keeping on eye on Graphene, which is even more advanced than Carbon....

Why do you ask? It weird that these wheels are made of epoxy resin (a thermosetting polymer) and carbon fiber thread, with an aluminum hub.... that's it... which makes them about 1/3 lighter than stock 13 Lbs vers 33 lbs...per corner, they are extremely rigid, I also have CF wheels on my road bike and are looking to get them from my electric motorcycle. Candidly the road bike experience got me interested in them for my car.
my bad. i misinterpreted from your handle that you might be those anti oil whackos who are also hypocritical because the raw precursors to the carbon threads and resin are synthesized from petroleum byproducts. but i see that you are a moderate person. i shouldve nuked my post if it were possible.

yes, carbon is great stuff for wheels in most applications. lightweight like magnesium without some of mags risks.

• Funny
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Upvote 0
LOL... I'm as far right as they come, burn all the oil, coal, firewood, you want. I don't buy into the Fear Uncertainty and Doubt (FUD). These cars pollute as much as any other, just in different ways. The brake and tire dust alone is probably the largest carcinogen, and with the heavy weight they are throwing more fine particulate matter into the environment...

“78 percent of ocean microplastics are from synthetic tire rubber.”

"The particles are so minuscule that they can pass directly through our lungs and into our bloodstream, even crossing the blood-brain barrier."

My handle is no FOREIGN OIL, don't want to fund the terrorist networks in the Middle East.

Xeno: Having to do with foreigners, as in xenophilia, or more commonly, xenophobia. From a foreign place, as in xenolith.
Oil: An oil is any nonpolar chemical substance that is composed primarily of hydrocarbons and is hydrophobic and lipophilic. Oils are usually flammable and surface active. Most oils are unsaturated lipids that are liquid at room temperature
Phobe: Used to form nouns denoting a person having a fear of a specific thing. Used to form nouns denoting a person who hates or despises a specific thing.

I bought the Model S for the car's performance and technology, the eco side wasn't in my buying equation. It's funny how many people assume that and I blow their mind when they see the hats in my back window.

Last edited:
Upvote 0