Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cheaper Side View Mirror Repair Options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, my 2015 85D was clipped on the left side view mirror. It’s purely cosmetic and everything functions OK. Tesla told me I would have to replace the whole thing to the tune of over $800. I was hoping to just replace the chrome and pearl white shell. Is there any place that might offer this? Thanks.

All,

There are a number of videos online showing the skullcap can be pried off and the interior motor assembly replaced, and there are used Tesla side mirror interior motor assemblies all over the internet, eBay, etc.

In my case, the passenger side mirror *motor* assembly on my 2020 Model Y went bonkers after a recent cold snap and would no longer fold and unfold properly. There was no physical damage to any visible parts, I didn't hit anything, etc. The mirror itself would still respond to up/down/left/right adjustments. It was the large folding/unfolding that was bonked up.

However, Tesla charged me $937 for the passenger side mirror assembly, not including the colored cover (which was fine) and another $35 to put it in (it's an easy job), for a total of $972 before tax.

The assembly includes the little triangle of window trim, the bottom black rail/trim, and the motor assembly inside. It does not include the colored cover (aka the "skullcap").

They said the skullcap would have been an *additional* $125.

This seems insanely pricey to me. This just seems really almost exploitatively expensive. Again, there are lots of videos showing people taking off the skullcap and replacing the interior motor assembly alone and not the entire side view mirror assembly, and used motors are on eBay, etc.

R,
B