Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Aftermarket Side Mirror?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The passenger side mirror on my 2001 Model 3 SR LFP broke off yesterday while backing out in a hurry from my extremely narrow carport. THe wholemirror unit is damaged, except for the white (car coolor) cover at the top.

In arranging service on the Tesla app, they first gave me an estimate of well over $800! Later, when I told them I had found that cover part, and it was intact, the repair charge now listed is more than $600. (In looking at that estimate, the repair charge is not high, as it would not take much time to repair. But the price for that part is absurd- well over $500 (without that cover). (Adding that cover would cost more than $200 more, for a small piece of plastic!) Highway robbery!

I see Amazon haws aftermarket side mirrors for considerably less. I could buy one, and go to any mechanic to install it? But how would I know if that mirror is any good.?

Has anyone here bought an aftermarket side mirror? Experience?

I received the mirror from Ebay. Looks good. In calling one auto repair shop about installing it, I was asked if the mirror folds. Answer-Yes. Then I was told that they would need to program the mirror, and don'know how so they could not do it?? Is that factual, that it needs some kind of special programming?

One repair place I called said it would be a big job, they would have to remove the door to install the mirror, I'd have to leave the car for a day or more!

While, the original estimate from Tesla- ridiculous price for the mirror assembly- more than $700. Yet the labor was $40 something, I think about 20 minutes, and they come do it at your home. (So I doubt they would take off the door!)

So much time on the phone today, and I still don't know who will install my mirror? (So part of me wishes that I jjust had Tesla do it?)

Any recommendations for a mechanic in Santa Monica, CA , who could quickly install that mirror?

All,

My passenger side mirror *motor* assembly on my 2020 Model Y went bonkers after a recent cold snap and would no longer fold and unfold properly. There was no physical damage to any visible parts, I didn't hit anything, etc.

The mirror itself would still respond to up/down/left/right adjustments. It was the large folding/unfolding that was bonked up.

However, Tesla charged me $937 for the passenger side mirror assembly, not including the colored cover (which was fine) and another $35 to put it in (it's an easy job), for a total of $972 before tax.

The assembly includes the little triangle of window trim, the bottom black rail/trim, and the motor assembly inside. It does not include the colored cover (aka the "skullcap").

They said the skullcap would have been an *additional* $125.

This seems insanely pricey to me.

There are a number of videos online showing the skullcap can be pried off and the interior motor assembly replaced, and there are used Tesla side mirror motor assemblies all over the internet, eBay, etc. However, Tesla told me they do not sell the motor assembly by itself or replace it.

Anyone else have the same experience? Does anyone know why Tesla doesn't replace the motor assembly alone? It's not that much harder a job based on a number of YouTube videos.

This just seems really almost exploitatively expensive.

R,
B