Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome damage caused by closing door after window failure to lower when cold

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving in cold weather for the first time. Window (unbeknownst to me) froze to rubber gasket at bottom edge of window. When I opened the door, it seemed to open normally, but later I was to learn that the window did not lower... again unbeknownst to me at the time.

When I went to close the door, rather forcefully as one needs to do in order to shut the Model 3 doors all the way, the door bounced off the trim because the window was not lowered, so there was no clearance for the glass to fit into the door frame.

Window impacting the chrome trim next to the window left a nice dent in the trim. It isn't leading to wind noise at the moment as far as I can tell, but it's a clearly visible issue and does make me worry about future wind noise or water leakage.

Has anyone else heard stories of this, and whether Tesla covers it as a warranty repair since it seems to be a design flaw?

Also this was after the 2018.48 update which I think was supposed to fix the issue... which may have some bearing on the warranty question.

I was driving the car. I was sitting inside the car, driving. Why would I preheat in this scenario? (The car was warm inside... I keep the climate set on 70F). When I stopped driving, parked, and tried to open the door to get out, the door opened. There seemed to be no problem. There was no beep, no warning, nothing warning me on the screen. But the door was in a state (window not lowered) where it could not be closed. There was no way to know this without pre-knowledge of this problem with the car. Then when I got out and tried to close the door, it would not close.