Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Chrome Delete DIY - If I can u can!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
$1,200 for chrome delete at the shop. The guy actually said, it's annoying to do and he wished more people would just try to tackle it themselves. Challenge accepted!!

You should know I know NOTHING about how to do this, last time I put stickers on something was kindergarten. But I ordered the Nikola Pro kit, $150, and 8-ish hours later, here we are! I think it looks better than these photos might suggest the lines are mostly pretty clean. I did have some problems along the way and our friends at Nikola mislabeled one set of pieces that really jammed me up. I don't have a frame of reference, if you pay the $1,200 maybe it comes perfectly with no chrome showing at all and no bubbles or runs in the vinyl but there's no part I feel like re-doing or paying to have redone. So I'd say anyone wanting to delete chrome, try it you'll like it!

Attachments

• IMG_1862.jpg
    IMG_1862.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_1863.jpg
    IMG_1863.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1864.jpg
    IMG_1864.jpg
    316.9 KB · Views: 162
Hehe, I spent half a day doing the same thing.

the mirror wrap is terribly complex, they mislabeled a driver for a passenger side piece and took me a bit to realize it. The long trim parts are kind of easy.

Attachments

• AC2D05BA-E80A-4E8A-8A7C-3C68216C48EF.jpeg
    AC2D05BA-E80A-4E8A-8A7C-3C68216C48EF.jpeg
    640 KB · Views: 158
  • 672BA985-CD11-4F4A-8756-184FCDE4720B.jpeg
    672BA985-CD11-4F4A-8756-184FCDE4720B.jpeg
    535.2 KB · Views: 140
  • 24A76E57-3F06-4F1E-89CD-2E4F3D60EFF3.jpeg
    24A76E57-3F06-4F1E-89CD-2E4F3D60EFF3.jpeg
    515.5 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Nikola Pro
The mirrors, ok yes that part sucked. The Nikola kit of course all the pieces are precut so its like putting a puzzle together. But, it wasn't always clear even with an install video where each part went. Worse, my mirrors squeaked when folding, like something was rubbing on the vinyl. I spent a lot of time going over it, flat as can be and using the tools on all edges. It's better but I'm not sure I've got it 100% yet. Also getting tiny triangle cut pieces into nooks wasn't real easy either.

Looks great!

We are aware of the M2 mirror piece that was mislabeled on one version of our cut file. We have since corrected the issue and future kits should not have this issue :)
I was going to message you directly but replying here is just as easy; what number or letter is the lower chrome trim on the bottom of the rear bumper of the pre-2016 Model S cars? I can't seem to find these pieces in my kit so maybe you can help tell me what I'm looking for.

Used a Nikola pro kit for my moms model 3 vs doing it free hand with a roll of vinyl like I did for my car but several of the mirror pieces were missing so ended up having to just use the leftover roll I had to complete it. Trying to strip out all the extra pieces was cumbersome, almost just wish the 2 kits were separated so you didn't have to re-organize tons of little duplicate pieces trying to find the one you needed.

I was going to message you directly but replying here is just as easy; what number or letter is the lower chrome trim on the bottom of the rear bumper of the pre-2016 Model S cars? I can't seem to find these pieces in my kit so maybe you can help tell me what I'm looking for.

The chrome trim towards the bottom of the rear bumper is not part of the kit. This was something we were planning to add but time constraints and a lack of an available vehicle with that configuration pushed us to skip it, at least for now.

Used a Nikola pro kit for my moms model 3 vs doing it free hand with a roll of vinyl like I did for my car but several of the mirror pieces were missing so ended up having to just use the leftover roll I had to complete it. Trying to strip out all the extra pieces was cumbersome, almost just wish the 2 kits were separated so you didn't have to re-organize tons of little duplicate pieces trying to find the one you needed.

Which pieces were you missing? We offer free replacements no matter the reason.

The chrome trim towards the bottom of the rear bumper is not part of the kit. This was something we were planning to add but time constraints and a lack of an available vehicle with that configuration pushed us to skip it, at least for now.
Are there plans to send this piece to those who already bought the full kit? I really wasn't expecting that to be left chrome and it's a glaring eyesore on the back of my car to anyone who is anti-chrome which will be all of your customers for this kit.

Which pieces were you missing? We offer free replacements no matter the reason.
This was like a month or so ago so I don't really remember specifically but I was missing the same pieces for each mirror. It was like the end pieces of the mirror folded in and a couple other of those parts. I'm aware I could get replacements but for the inconvenience of having to contact you guys, wait days for replacement pieces when i was already 90% complete and do another 2 hour round trip to just finish the mirrors that's a bit counter productive when I could finish it right then. Luckily I already had my roll of satin black 3m vinyl with me.