Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

DIY front window tint, the case for doing it yourself!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer, I don't know anything about window tinting!

IMG_3014.jpg
IMG_3015.jpg

I've been wanting to tint my windows, but didn't really want to spend any money on it. Saw a precut 3M kit for $20 and spent another $10 on a cheapo squeegee kit. I figured worst case, I'd rip it off and sulk in the corner.

The sun was out today so I gave it a spin, and it's pretty straight forward. I wasn't really taking my time since it was $20 and I just wanted to go through the motions to see if it was even worth DIYing.

Everything is pretty straight forward. The most important thing is to take your time, make sure everything is clean, use lots of water/soap, and have an area that isn't windy...halfway in my shop bay door was not optimal.

The install itself is pretty straight forward:
- use a screwdriver to trick the car into thinking the door is closed so the window rolls up
- remove exterior door trim
- apply film
- squeegee
- trim excess
- apply heat gun to edges
- repeat until there are no big bubbles

I overcut a few edges at the top of one window and got some cat hair stuck in the passenger window but overall it looks good and reduces the heat from the sun. For $30 and an afternoon I can't complain. If the current tint job bothers me in the future I'll just rip it off and redo it multiple times and still come out ahead. Anybody can do this, so if you're on the fence give it a try! I'll have a video at some point once I finish editing the front/rear suspension R&R.

IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_3009.jpg
IMG_3010.jpg

That's what I thought but I wondered why ngng removed exterior door trim.
most shops will install on outside to cut and trim it then peel the outer protection layer so they can easily do on the inside. you trigger to door to not do the auto up and down so you can fit the film in the lower trim.

Problem with the tesla is you get fingers usually on the bottom from it adjusting everytime you get in/out

most shops will install on outside to cut and trim it then peel the outer protection layer so they can easily do on the inside. you trigger to door to not do the auto up and down so you can fit the film in the lower trim.

Problem with the tesla is you get fingers usually on the bottom from it adjusting everytime you get in/out

Exactly! so when I did the fronts, the first window I did end up touching the edges a little. With my wet fingers, it didn't leave any marks. Obviously avoiding any contact is ideal. The second window, I was able to get the tint on and slide it around without touching anything. If I were to do this again I'd buy two kits, and keep one as a backup. Would have no problems.

Re: the door window, you just slide a small screwdriver into the door latch to trigger the door sensor!

Reactions: TypeX
  • Informative
Reactions: EVer Hopeful